New Camera, New Strobe, newbie photographer pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonix:
i'll leave the critique to the pros...

on my end i'd say you have a very nice anilao set. love the colors. :wink:

where did you stay in anilao?
In Balai resort. Ed's my sifu!

Skywalk, nice set. I'd have to say you've got the blues down for the wide angle shots! Good job. On the macro, colors and exposure look great, maybe just a little more work on the composition side. Mind you, I still struggle with this and still find myself bulls-eyeing my subjects or not filling in the frame with a macro subject...

pakman:
Skywalk, nice set. I'd have to say you've got the blues down for the wide angle shots! Good job. On the macro, colors and exposure look great, maybe just a little more work on the composition side. Mind you, I still struggle with this and still find myself bulls-eyeing my subjects or not filling in the frame with a macro subject...
yeah thats my cutting and cropping problem. I suck at it. Haven't really figured it out... :( any tips?

well I'm far from the being the expert... but I think everyone will agree on some basics...

get close, and when you think you're close enough, get even closer.... :wink:

rule of thirds in terms of composition

shoot upwards

edit: related to composition, avoid side-on fish ID shots! (I'm still guilty on this one :D) try to get a fish/ nudi from head on or from an angle from the front...

pakman:
well I'm far from the being the expert... but I think everyone will agree on some basics...

get close, and when you think you're close enough, get even closer.... :wink:

rule of thirds in terms of composition

shoot upwards

edit: related to composition, avoid side-on fish ID shots! (I'm still guilty on this one :D) try to get a fish/ nudi from head on or from an angle from the front...

i second pak's tips.

@pak: you're being possessed by baldy :eyebrow:

You have some good shots there. Pak has some good advice there, we all had the same teacher...:D

What camera set up are you using?

Skywalk those are some very nice photos. You've already gotten some good advice, so this is probably somewhat redundant but....when you find a great subject, like those nudibranchs, STAY WITH IT, take lots of images, and try to change something (composition, lighting, angle, aperture...) on every frame. Like jonix says, get right in their face for some of them. Look around to see if there is a good negative space that will work, and if there is, use it...maneuver your body and camera into position so it will be in the frame. I can't tell you how many times I have come across a good subject, shot a couple of frames, thought they were really good (they weren't), moved on looking for something else which was never found. Or I get excited and shoot 30 or so identical frames, all bad. It's a lot better to have a few great shots of one subject than 50 (used to be 36 :)) mediocre ones of a variety of subjects. It has something to do with a bird in hand being better than....you know the rest. Anyway you are off to a great start. ++Ken++

Back
Top Bottom