New Camera Buying- help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UCFDiver85

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks. I've been diving about a year now and I've decided with Christmas coming up it's time to ask for an underwater camera. Honestly though, I dont know the first thing about cameras, nor what kind are good. I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I really don't wanna break my parent's bank account on this camera...and I'm doing all ametur stuff so I won't need a pro camera, just something to take nice shots of pretty fish. Anyways, I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of a good camera for a good price. Any further input about underwater cameras would also be great. Thanks guys!

Ron, he's asking about a digital camera, not film.

UCF...if you could give us a budget to work with that would help. This subject comes up at least once every week or so. If you'll search for new cameras, begining cameras, etc. you'll find lots of info. Or just scroll through these pages, you won't have to go far before you find it.

I don't meen to steal a thread but I am asking a very similar question. Wanting to buy digital camera for christmas. Don't know which one.

My specifics are my first venture into underwater photography was with a Sea & Sea MXII ex with the ys50 strobe (pretty sure on the strobe but can't exactly remember). Flooded the actual camera in Bonaire Several years back and the cost of fixing the camera was about the same price as a new camera.

I also have and have had for a while my digital video camera whichj is a JVC mini DV digital camera with an Ikelight houseing and the 100 watt video light wich I still have, it still works great and stuff. It has the ability to take digital stills at 640x480 and I can take snap shots out of the video on computer, but the quality is just not there for stills. There is just not the resolution I would like.

Brings me to my current problem. I was just about sold on the Olympus C-5050. I was going to buy one this christmas. It is now discontinued and the Camera Stores in my neck of the woods (Toronto Canada) don't have any left in stock. Knowing that the 5050 was around the price I was looking to spend does any one have sudjestions on a new toy for me?

Also my strobe would still function as it did not get flooded. It has the sync cord that went into my old camera. Can I still use this strobe?

I've recently been researching cameras for the same purpose as you, UCf. First camera for u/w use, and first digital camera for me too, so I want to kill two birds with one purchase. Like you I don't see myself ever wanting or needing anything more than something that will take half-decent u/w snapshots. I recognize that with a relatively small budget I must compromise a bit on image quality. I intend to start off using only the camera's built-in flash simply because camera + housing + strobe is more than I can afford all at once. The slave strobe is a "someday, maybe" thing. I also want this camera to be capable of producing good images on land. I've set my budget at under $350 (street price) for the camera, under $200 for the housing (unfortunately that eliminates Ikelite housings; so be it).

Olympus and Canon are making some very good quality, small cameras in this price range, with available housings that fit the budget described above. For example, take a look at the Olympus Stylus 400 and the Canon S400. There is a current thread here that features some first-timer S400 pics taken with just the built-in flash. Nikon has the Coolpix 4300, and the Fantasea CP-4 housing for it sounds very promising.

I've been looking at 4 megapixel cameras. 3 megapixel cameras are even less expensive. For example, the Fantasea CP-4 housing also fits the Nikon 885, which is less expensive than the CP4300.

I think it pays to do as much research as you can. There are quite a few threads here that are helpful. See what a search for "S400" turns up, for example. There is a ton of info online. Steves-digicams.com has very thorough reviews. If you're thinking about a specific camera, the listing for it at newegg.com will include links to several different sources featuring reviews.

Decide what your priorities are. Personally I'm placing as much emphasis on dry land performance as I am on u/w performance because, frankly, the camera I get will see a lot more use on land than it ever will u/w. This is why I'm less interested in the Sealife digital cameras; they have more robust housings, but I understand from reading another thread here that they use Vivitar cameras (2 or 3 megapixels depending on the model) which would not equal the dry land performance of the cameras mentioned above.

I also suggest that you do online research and then go to a store to handle these cameras in person. I've found that, for me, the smallest are not necessarily the easiest to hold and use.

Sorry for the length of this. And in case you're wondering, I'm still undecided!

Rick

There are still C-5050's on the market at some of the online stores. Newegg had some earlier this week. Also some of the stores like Circuit City and Comp USA may still have some.

Back
Top Bottom