New C-5060 Gallery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All Boarders,

I just got back from a month long trip in Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala. I was able to pretty thouroughly test and learn my C-5060 Ikelite setup and got some real nice pics. Check out my gallery and let me know what you think. I am planning on going back down in a couple months for some more shots. I tried to post only the ones I liked. I used a 1gb Sandisk card and almost filled it up over the month at SHQ setting. I am very pleased with the Ikelite setup but had a minor problem with the zoom arm at depth but was able to remedy the problem with my leatherman tool. I would welcome some feedback and experiences especially other people that have been using a similar setup.

"Ah the bubbles . . (in my beer)"

You've got some nice shots in there. A month 'down there' sounds like a great time!

Shader, what were your camera settings:
- what mode did you shoot in (P, A, S or M) and
- were you using Ike's TTL conversion circuitary?

For, example, in this picture?:
24521spotted_eel.jpg

ReyeR:
Shader, what were your camera settings:
ReyeR:
- what mode did you shoot in (P, A, S or M) and
- were you using Ike's TTL conversion circuitary?

On that particular shot I believe this one was at Mo-Che shallow in PDC but this was a fairly dark undercut even in 30' of water. The Ikelite C-5060 housing has the built in Olympus TTL hotshoe conversion circuitry for Olympus so I was using TTL metering on most of the shots. I got pretty nice results in S,M, and P modes with great metering in different light conditions. I had my camera set on housing accessory mode with most of the shots done on S or P mode. My slowest shutter priority was 1/60th but for this one I believe I was at 1/125 since this eel really didn't want to come out and I was about 12" away from him. This particular shot of the spotted eel was done in Macro mode and I was not able to take many pics in Super Macro Mode as I was getting too close to the subjects and scaring them off.
I am probably going to get a Sea&Sea wet mount Macro lense to help aleviate this problem. I found the camera also focused much better in Macro when I had my camera on the housing accessory setting. I am also told that this also helps with conversion lenses and vignetting. The downside to the C-5060 with Ikelite is you have to get out of the water and dry to switch to Olympus Macro or Wide Angle conversion lenses. That is why I am looking at the Sea&Sea wet mounts which will screw right into the Ikelite housing underwater. The C-5060 has a pretty nice wide angle to start off and am curious to see how another super wide angle is stacked ontop.

Dee:
You've got some nice shots in there. A month 'down there' sounds like a great time!
Thanks much there Dee. I am still decompressing and can't wait to plan another trip once the wallet is recharged.

Thanks, it looks like the TTL circuitary nailed the exposure in this shot.
I guess what I'm trying to suggest is that in some of the other shots you may have been too far or the TTL got fooled or both. I personally prefer a little more strobe light on the subject. I think this one could have done with more strobe influence:

24521BigGrouper1.jpg

While shooting in TTL try a faster shutter speed to change the balance between the ambient light and strobe light. You can also try bumping up the Flash Exposure Compensation so the TTL circuitary is 'forced' to give out more light. I guess you just need to play around a bit. Good job though.

Just my 2 psi.

ReyeR:
Thanks, it looks like the TTL circuitary nailed the exposure in this shot.
I guess what I'm trying to suggest is that in some of the other shots you may have been too far or the TTL got fooled or both. I personally prefer a little more strobe light on the subject. I think this one could have done with more strobe influence:

While shooting in TTL try a faster shutter speed to change the balance between the ambient light and strobe light. You can also try bumping up the Flash Exposure Compensation so the TTL circuitary is 'forced' to give out more light. I guess you just need to play around a bit. Good job though.

Just my 2 psi.
Thanks mucho for the info ReyeR,

I was a bit further from the Grouper as this one was a bit shy. I actually had my strobe compensation cut back on this one about -.7 since I was taking close up pictures right before this shot and forgot to switch it back. I will definetly tinker more with shutter speed and and exposure compensation. I think this shot was fairly early in my trip and I was still getting used to the controls.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom