New buyer!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In January, about 5 yrs ago, we arrived in Florida to do our certification. We were totally naive re equipment. Were told by the shop that we needed our own fins, snorkel, mask. We had expected them to be included as part of the lesson charges, along with the rest of the gear. So, we bought then and there from the Dive Op. In retrospect, we got a good deal because, as we learned months later, the Op was about to go out of business and everything was bargain-priced.

The basic gear items were all older styles, not that we knew or cared. Total price was about $85 pp x 2. I bought the only mask that fit my face ($40). A blue snorkel ($10) because my wife selected one that was clear and the only pair of fins that fit my feet (Mares-made predecessor of the Plana Avanti X3) for $35; wife got the fins, as this was the only model available. My wife has since bought a lighter, less stiff fin that cost more than her original purchase total. I am still diving with the original gear (although I don't wear the snorkel:wink:). Regardless, the experience was a rude awakening and crude introduction to the still-mysterious world of dive gear. It made me a cautious buyer.

Thanks for all the responses!

Reasons to buy new equipment! The equipment I had was a set from US Divers that I bought at a sporting goods store (Dick's). It was an all-in-one set with mask, snorkel and fins that we used a few times while on cruises for excursions.
1) Snorkel - the ones we had did not have a flexible mouthpiece and he said we needed the flexible mouthpiece so it would fall away while using a regulator.
2) Fins - said the ones in the set were too small and won't work with dive boots, only bare feet
3) Mask - pointed out getting custom fit and said might as well get new ones since he had package pricing. He also asked if anyone jumps into a pool and holds their noses. When my wife and son answered yes, he said we might want masks with purges - which we all wound up getting.
Thanks again for all the help!

Snokel I would have used whatever....I hate the thing already, gets in the way for doff and don drills, I confuse it for my inflator sometimes, it always slides down the holder etc...I plan on keeping it in the bag after my checkouts.

Fins, I agree, the Dicks package proabably won't cut it.

Boots I have the exact same type as you and paid the same as you as well.

Mask...Could have proabaly used the one you had as long as it was tempered glass. I went to the store and tried on about 15 masks, all seemed to "fit" fine..Maybe I have an averaged shaped head so its not a problem, but I really could have worn any of them. The purge is not neccessary and my wife uses a mask from one of those packages. I actually think it has better visability than my low volume $70 mask.:confused:

Thanks for all the replies! I'm feeling much better :D I'm gathering that the discount and pricing are pretty standard for a LDS. I needed the boots and fins, but could have probably skipped the masks and bought a cheaper snorkels.

Our masks did leak a little, so I probably did need better fitting ones, but maybe could have gone a little cheaper without the purge. Also we still plan on doing a lot of snorkeling along with the scuba diving, so I'm not overly upset at having splurged on new masks and snorkels. Just the difference in confidence in my son with the new equipment makes it worth it! (He hated snorkeling last year with the leaking mask - actually sat on the boat for the last two sites after the 1st one).

Thanks again for all the quick replies!

You did a lot better than I did on my first gear purchase. I wish I knew then what I know now! My experience led to a really lengthy thread in this forum about trusting the LDS and I don't purchase from that particular LDS anymore because I felt they really misled me on "normal" gear prices and talked dirt about other brands and shops.

Mask - Deep See (not sure what model, no purge low volume) - $74
Fins - ScubaPro Twin Jet Max - $219
Snorkel - Aqualung Impulse - $49
Boots - ScubaPro Everflex 5mm - $49
My set: $391 - 10% = $352

Mask - ScubaPro Spectra - (low-volume two lens, no purge) - $93
Fins - ScubaPro Twin Jet - $189
Snorkel - Aqualung Impulse - $49
Boots - ScubaPro Everflex 5mm - $49
Husband's set: $380 - 10% = $342

Total with tax for two sets of basic gear: $742.58

I ended up spending another $700+ on my BC and alternate air. I've got a SeaQuest Libra BC with AirSource 2. For what I spent on our basic gear and my BC, I could have gotten two full sets of gear for me and my husband, if I'd done a lot of the research I'm doing now instead of just assuming the LDS knew what they were talking about.

I'm having STICKER SHOCK and BUYERS REMORSE all rolled up in one! I'm currently getting certified with my wife and 12 year old son. We went to our 1st class with our snorkeling gear and was told we would need new equipment for scuba. We started trying on items and when we were done we ended up paying about $250 per person for fins, mask, snorkel and boots. I since went on-line and looked at on-line stores and it seems the shop basically charged me full MSRP minus a 10% discount.

I'm sure I need the equipment, but not sure the $250 set versus a less expensive set, but either way I'm wondering if a 10% discount off of MSRP is the standard for a LDS (local dive shop?)?

I want to support the LDS, but also don't want to spend every spare dollar I have and not be able to afford to actually take a trip and use it. It's obviously magnified since we are buying 3 of everything.
You'll become so numb to $250 before you progress too far into scuba it won't be a big deal to you. :popcorn:

You'll become so numb to $250 before you progress too far into scuba it won't be a big deal to you. :popcorn:

If that becomes true, I might not be able to afford this hobby especially since I'm buying for 3:11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom