New buddy check and what reg to use - 1st, 2nd or Pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
Since this trend toward donating out of your mouth is not practical with my equipment configuration I sling a 30cuft pony which I can use as bailout or donate as required.

Dave. Just wondering what do you fill your bailout bottle with? 32%? I'm assuming this mix changes if you are going deep?

I agree with several of the above posts.

I dive a long hose (7') and keep second sec. stage on bungee around neck. During buddy check tell buddy that I will donate primary out of mouth. I do tell my assigned buddy that I would prefer he not just rip reg. out of my mouth but I have had this happen already and you can't really plan for it.

Any dive over 60 fsw I also dive w/ a 19cf tank as a pony (which I sling). I typically keep 29% in this as this handles the max depth ranges I tend to play in and lets me keep at a p.p of about 1.4. I only use the pony as a redundant air source and would never donate.

OE2X:
Dave. Just wondering what do you fill your bailout bottle with? 32%? I'm assuming this mix changes if you are going deep?
I use air since it will get me home from any depth I am likely to be on my rebreather. Until I get a breather with a loop recovery mode I stay above 150ft. Still use trimix diluent though.
Since I like keeping the same configuration for most of my diving I have taken to slinging the bailout bottle when diving OC (rec depths). I prefer the pony to the long hose even (sorry Jock :wink: )

I know I'm gonna get hammered on this one, but I have to ask anyway just for my own knowledge.

I am finishing my Rescue class this week, and one of the hardest skills to learn is rescue breathing while removing gear. I would think that a bungeed octo (which I wholeheartedly agree with on principal) would be a problem with an unresponsive, non-breathing diver who needs their gear removed at the surface.

Any thoughts?

xSandman3:
I know I'm gonna get hammered on this one, but I have to ask anyway just for my own knowledge.

I am finishing my Rescue class this week, and one of the hardest skills to learn is rescue breathing while removing gear. I would think that a bungeed octo (which I wholeheartedly agree with on principal) would be a problem with an unresponsive, non-breathing diver who needs their gear removed at the surface.

Any thoughts?

Not really a problem as you can just pull the whole thing over the guys head easily.

Most divers that I know use a double slip knot that encircles the reg mouthpiece. If you pull on the reg very hard the loop slips off and the reg comes free. I proved the concept once by forgetting to take off my bungied reg before getting out of my harness.

Dry suit inflaters will give you more trouble than a bungied reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom