New BP/W first dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkkchris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just had a chance to try out my new DSS rig. SS medium plate, Torus 26, HOG harness. Put the old Zeagle Stiletto to rest - which is an awesome bc by the way.

I am really loving the rig so far. Much more stabile, no tank roll whatsoever and already just with one dive starting to play around with trim, etc., I can tell it will help with my trim. I tended to be feet heavy with the Zeagle having to move my tank higher up on my back. Getting used to having no shoulder pull dump and by half way through the dive was getting pretty good with the hip pull dump... I did take on a lot of water in the bladder, but I think I was pulling the dump not with the wing up a bit too often. Already I have noticed having the extra weight on my center around the tank is helping with that. I was wearing a full 8/7 semi dry, AL80 and with that combo 18lbs on a belt. I could probably take a few pounds off that but prefer to be a slight bit overweighted - my wetsuit is also really new and super buoyant right now! I am going to try with a steel tank next. A few more dives in socal over the next week and then off to Thailand to try it in the nice warm waters.

Next challenge is to take out the camera rig and work on trim... but want to get sorted without that first.

So thanks Tobin! Any suggestions would be great.

Just had a chance to try out my new DSS rig. SS medium plate, Torus 26, HOG harness. Put the old Zeagle Stiletto to rest - which is an awesome bc by the way.

I am really loving the rig so far. Much more stabile, no tank roll whatsoever and already just with one dive starting to play around with trim, etc., I can tell it will help with my trim. I tended to be feet heavy with the Zeagle having to move my tank higher up on my back. Getting used to having no shoulder pull dump and by half way through the dive was getting pretty good with the hip pull dump... I did take on a lot of water in the bladder, but I think I was pulling the dump not with the wing up a bit too often. Already I have noticed having the extra weight on my center around the tank is helping with that. I was wearing a full 8/7 semi dry, AL80 and with that combo 18lbs on a belt. I could probably take a few pounds off that but prefer to be a slight bit overweighted - my wetsuit is also really new and super buoyant right now! I am going to try with a steel tank next. A few more dives in socal over the next week and then off to Thailand to try it in the nice warm waters.

Next challenge is to take out the camera rig and work on trim... but want to get sorted without that first.

So thanks Tobin! Any suggestions would be great.

Glad to hear the gear is working out for you.

Sounds like you are getting it handled pretty well. I like to carry as little ballast as possible simply because that results in less gas in the wing during all phases of the dive. Smaller bubbles mean buoyancy control is easier.

Your approach of starting a tad heavy and trimming is fine.

Enjoy your trip.

Tobin

Hey bkkchris keep us posted on your new rig and trip. I am also considering the DSS, SS plate, hog harness set-up. Not sure what size wing yet.

I am also considering the DSS, SS plate, hog harness set-up. Not sure what size wing yet.
You won't regret it - I only wish I had gotten mine sooner! Give Tobin a call - he'll help you figure out exactly what will work best for you.

One thing I'm noticing as I go along is that I started with the shoulder straps too tight and the crotch strap too loose. In Bonaire last week I adjusted both in the opposite direction and was more comfortable and flatter in the water than ever before, and had to struggle less getting into and out of the gear. Also, instead of just pulling on the rear dump, make an effort to raise your butt a little when you do so, so you can feel that bubble of air at the dump.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom