new board design comment and question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far so good ... now close the thread, come back into it and tell me what you see ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
If that's directed to me, I see the same thing as I did in my previous reply. Here's what I saw before I responded to your post upon re-entering this thread - note testing is greyed out. Clicking in the window makes it black before I highlight/delete it.:

Capture.JPG

If your issue is that if you hit reply instead, that text is then shown at the top of your reply - that is correct. I think in that case the intent is if you typed a lot, then either lost your connection or went to another thread without saving it, the idea is that you would be able to return and resume your post.

I don't really like that either but I'm not sure if that's something we can turn off.

Here's an example of that. In this case I would have had to highlight text addition with my mouse then hit the delete key to remove it before posting.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 81
I miss my user page with my most recent threads and favorite forums.
That's split into two options, Watched Threads and Watched Forums. Both are accessible in the toolbar immediately below Community while in this section. It's context sensitive so you won't see that in the Photo Gallery for example where "Watched" changes to Media Content there - hovering over it shows 3 choices instead, Media, Albums or
Categories.

Dunno if there's a summary of new features or "How Tos", but I could sure use one and try to figure out how to get to what I want.
There isn't one built in anywhere but here's a user's guide written for another forum with pictures and examples. http://www.admin-talk.com/attachments/welcome-to-our-dj-talk-pdf.372/

If you're wary of clicking the direct link, here's the URL:
http://www.admin-talk.com/threads/forum-user-guide-for-xenforo.6668/

Honestly the Xenforo people do a poor job of supporting the forum from a user perspective, I can find plenty of Admin related guides/even videos but so far not a basic user's manual on their website. And several posts indicating there isn't one. We many have to write a specific SB manual as well as recreate all the "how-to" posts and videos that were in Site Support on the old board.

But that will take some time as it did there also.

Last edited:
Well, if you're going to be snarky about it, it's a standard keyboard command since around 1984 or so..and used on every keyboard since then afaik. Certainly since a little thing called Windows was developed since that's probably when I started using it - on Windows 2.0.

SO/IEC 9995 Information technology — Keyboard layouts for text and office systems is an ISO standard series defining layout principles for computer keyboards. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_9995

I believe all the control characters came from Wordstar. Microsoft adopted them for Windows. I was using them in college, in ~'84.

I miss my user page with my most recent threads and favorite forums. The board loads much faster and like the fact you can have mentions using the @ symbol. Dunno if there's a summary of new features or "How Tos", but I could sure use one and try to figure out how to get to what I want.

Most people don't like change for the sake of change.

Put this link in your list of favorites: http://www.scubaboard.com/community/watched/threads/all

You can kinda do it by clicking your name in the top right, and "your content" or http://www.scubaboard.com/community/search/member?user_id=63352

That's split into two options, Watched Threads and Watched Forums. Both are accessible in the toolbar immediately below Community while in this section. It's context sensitive so you won't see that in the Photo Gallery for example where "Watched" changes to Media Content there - hovering over it shows 3 choices instead, Media, Albums or
Categories.

Thank you for the help!

Yes, I've been able to stumble on to what I've been looking for here and there. What I miss is having it all together in one page.

Honestly the Xenforo people do a poor job of supporting the forum from a user perspective, I can find plenty of Admin related guides/even videos but so far not a basic user's manual on their website. And several posts indicating there isn't one. We many have to write a specific SB manual as well as recreate all the "how-to" posts and videos that were in Site Support on the old board.But that will take some time as it did there also.

An SB manual would be terrific! Let me know how I can help.

I don't mean to "Monday Morning Quarterback" what's happened. I deal with process improvement and change at work all the time. People will resist change, kick and complain. I know that first hand. But the one thing I can't do is blame the choice made for its shortcomings. That's MY fault! It is part of my job to evaluate the choices beforehand and analyze if the pros. outweigh the cons. As a user, at this point the pros don't seem to outweigh the cons. Maybe there are some hidden pros from the business side and that's all good; after all if the business can't function we all lose.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice!

Let me know if there's something I can do to help with a user guide. Writing O&M manuals, user guides, and procedures is what I do for a living. And who knows ... I might just be able to get my questions answered in a way that helps other folks not run into the same problems ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

why do something with one intuitive click when you can do the same thing with multiple, non-intuitive actions?
Frankly, Ctrl-A / Del seems pretty intuitive to me although it may well be a thoroughly ingrained, learned thing. As Steve said, Ctrl-A has meant "Select all" at least since 1984, and Del... Well, you get my drift, I guess :)

My main problem with the board design right now is the default color of the hyperlinks. All the way back since the bronze age (i.e. the early 90s), when We the Geeks were using the original Mozilla web browser, UNIX "mail" was the default e-mail client, Gopher was a living protocol and USENET was the way to discuss, hyperlinks have been blue and underlined. You were able to identify the hyperlinks even before you'd read the content of the webpage. On this board right now, they're grey and not underlined. Which makes them pretty difficult to identify, particularly in .sigs, which also are rendered in grey.

if you hit reply instead, that text is then shown at the top of your reply - that is correct.
Hallelujah, brother!

Don't get me started on top-posting/bottom-quoting and how Micro$oft's software (Outlook, I'm scowling at you!) encourages that kind of behavior. Jeez, these days even grown adults believe that top-posting is appropriate!

It's not intuative if there is no "control" key. The platform is supposed to be tablet and phone friendly, which for the most part it is. My tablet and phone do not have a "control" key.

Highlight the text using your mouse or finger and hit the delete key. You have one of those right? (a delete key)

If not, the person to blame for that oversight was Steve Jobs...:D

This site is very tablet friendly on my Dell Venue. It runs Windows 8.1 so I'm web browsing (Firefox/Chrome) on it just like I do here on my PC. I even have a usb keyboard so I don't have to mess with the virtual keyboard nonsense...ymmv

EDITED for clarity...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom