New Benchmark In dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hardly a new benchmark. It has the less features than the Seabear H3 does in a larger form factor.... Granted the Scubapro buyout has delayed the release of the AI transmitter, but Suex has announced integration to their scooters using the same technology.

Is this "new" AL really anything but a warmed over Aeris A300 CS OLED/Oceanic VTX?

Exactly, Pelagic now makes them for Aqualung. Its a version of the VTX by Oceanic.
Nothing new here...

That is tremendously shameful and disappointing.
As an owner of a Petrel 2 and former user of a Suunto Vytek, it just reinforces my effort to not buy anything from Aqualung, Suunto, Apeks and the rest of the companies under that corporation (Wake up, they are one company in case some readers don't know.). Some company could have made good computers utilizing the technology that was already very mature in cell phones/consumer electronics and some companies did do that (Shearwater, Liquidvision, Atomic, Dive Rite, etc).
So a large international company (Aqua Lung) with tremendous funding, staff, logistics and manufacturing network available to them still continues to sit on their hands and let other people develop good products. Let me guess that they will simply copy a competitor's product or buy rights to one and sell it as their own. They make products that do their job but are overpriced. I can take any of their products and likely find an equivalent performer (or better) at half the price.
I don't wish bad things for the company but it may take some re-structuring to get them back on track, again.

...Aqualung, Suunto, Apeks and the rest of the companies under that corporation (Wake up, they are one company in case some readers don't know.).

Suunto and Aqualung are not the same company. Aqualung was a distributor for Suunto dive products in certain regions. Pelagic Pressure Systems is now owned by Aqualung and is now manufacturing computers under the Aqualung brand name (in addition to computers for other manufacturers).

In the United States, Suunto (not an Aqualung company) is now distributed by Huish Outdoors (Atomic, Liquivision, Zeagle, etc).

The same thing happens in other industries too when the greedy bastards start buying up good companies. They cut the quality and raise prices. Time to look elsewhere. It has always been this way, but is worse now with the advent of the AOL business model, screw over your customers, but not the point where they leave. I vote with my wallet. Complaining to each other and buying their crap anyway doesn't send the right message. I look for small innovative companies, or high quality products. Name brands mean nothing, I have noticed the same thing as you, the same product branded by several companies. I found a nice titanium knife priced from $40 to well over $100. It is made in Taiwan. I am buying a couple hundred for give aways direct from the manufacturer for $15 each with a company logo

PPS used to be a part of AUP (Oceanic/Hollis/Aeris). not really a hostile takeover of a small startup. the prices at my LDS for the new computers seem roughly comparable to the oceanic models they were based on, so it doesn't change what options a diver has available imo.

large corporations buyout smaller companies for their technology and innovation all the time. if you don't want to support that then you should stop using your computer and cellphone because all large technology companies do it. scuba is not some special snowflake industry.

shotmaster: i don't think anyone would characterize the taiwanese scuba manufacturers as innovative or high quality. if anything, they specialize in selling decent quality copies of existing gear at a lower price point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom