New artificial reefs coming to a Gulf near you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was curious about something.... ChairmanTARAC...I read the Evironmental Assessment on the Texas Clipper http://www.divesouthpadre.com/Texas_Clipper.pdf . There was just one thing about it that got me thinking....Is this a fishing site or a dive site. I don't think it is feasible to "sell" us this site as one in the same. Is it possible to combine the two? Will the divers be on the left and the fisherman be on the right?
I do understand spearfishing and yes that is a combination of the two. BUT my question specifically addresses the Evironmental Assessment report that states that 300,000 to 400,000 anglers fish in the Gulf of Mexico each year and even more specifically mentions that party boats who take out 10,000 to 35,000 a year. Will party boats be allowed on the sites? Will there be several fishing boats on the site at one time. Will it be a reservation system? Who will monitor the space?

Section 4.2.6 Socioeconomic Impact. Quite clearly the 2 activities have been lumped together.

Make sure to bring shears that can cut through stainless steel leaders.
That would really suck!

I think that there is a policy in place for boat captains- in similar sites like in Florida.

At our current sites there are diving operations and fishing at the same time. I am impressed somebody read the assessment since very few responded.Currently there is more interest in making it a premier dive site than for fishing but that will depend on the dive community and how well we respond. In our public meetings there was little interest from the party boat industry. Several issues are still to be agreed upon and I will post a thread to take input Thanks for your support

Mike baranows: Bids have been taken. As soon as we recieve the ok from maritime administration clean up will begin. Target is still this summer at this time

chairmanTARAC:
At our current sites there are diving operations and fishing at the same time. I am impressed somebody read the assessment since very few responded.Currently there is more interest in making it a premier dive site than for fishing but that will depend on the dive community and how well we respond. In our public meetings there was little interest from the party boat industry. Several issues are still to be agreed upon and I will post a thread to take input Thanks for your support

Why wasn't the assessment posted on the TPWD website since it is a Texas project? Was there a notification to all the dive shops in Texas that i am just not aware of?

Fly the Pirate Flag and the Dive Flag on the boat and have them in the water too. I'd also carry a pistol and a healty size one at that. ( it can replace a few pounds of weight :D )
If the fishermen "Hook You" just unload on them when you come up.

If your down deep on the wreck and you get hooked and they drag you up fast your probably going to die anyway so you'll have just one last act of defiance left in you.
Don't Waste it !!

Frank say use hollow points just to be sure:14:

You are absolutely right. We do have to share! I am just concerned about the excitement that may take place and the amount of boat traffic that may come with it. If there is enough traffic there will not be any diving at all. Just wondering if any of this type of assessment was done within the project discussions.

Debraw, The assessment was posted on the TPWD web site.I personally sent it to many people who are on my list. You are now on my list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom