New Arrival

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience with a wetmate WAL:
  • put the lens on underwater. If, for some reason, you do put it on before entering the water you should unscrew it underwater and 'burp' it and screw it back on again
  • there are usually some markings on the lens - like a sticker or even the manufacturers writing - note a spot that corresponds to the top of the housing lens port (12 o'clock) when the threads will 'catch' easily when screwing it on. Practice this on land and this will reduce fiddling around underwater
  • point the housing upwards when screwing on the lens
  • I smear a tiny bit of silicon grease (and I mean tiny) on the threads of the lens so it screws on easily and doesn't damage the fine threads. Keep sand away from it as it has a nasty habit of getting attracted to the grease
  • tethering the lens to the rest of your rig is highly recommended
  • zoom out fully on your camera when using the lens to avoid distortion
  • rinse the front and back elements of the lens out immediately after every use in salt water. Even if it is just a short boat ride back or during a surface interval. I use a squirt sports bottle and then wipe the lens dry with a micro-fibre cloth. After finishing all my dives a give it a brief soak and rinse and wipe dry immediately. If left on the salt water can 'stain' the coating on the lens
Have fun, because you are going to love this lens!

Yeah....what ReyeR said. On my lens, the O in the Olympus name perfectly lines up with one of those small vents in the lens port to get my lens started. That teensy bit of silicone will help, just make sure you wipe the threads clean at the end of the day and do NOT get any grease on your housing port glass! Pay close attention as you thread the lens on, 'feel' whether it's smooth and not gritty from sand. And never force it! Even a small grain of sand can distort those fine threads.

Thanks for the tips guys! Very valuable to me! I just marked a starting point on the lens and the port. I guess this'll help a bit.

OK, I took it in the water yesterday and all worked well....just the battery in my camera died after 20 so pics. My fault - forgot to switch in the excitement of using the new WAL. Anyway, I got some cool pictures of the wreck, using manual whit balance and again I got the pinky-purple thing going on to the side. I'm still trying to figure out how mandrakes explanation...Remember I got the blond thing going on too :D.
Here are two pics that some what turned out:

PS: I just looked at the pictures in the camera again and I can't see that pink purple edge there, only after DL the photo is it there....Strange

Same here, Lisa. The pinky colors didn't show up in the camera, even using the zoom thing in preview, only after downloading.

Back
Top Bottom