New App to export dive data from the Apple Watch Ultra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I definitely like the extra resolution.

Pretty cool! Will have to try!

Is the data logged deeper than recreational limits 40m/130ft?

Say 60m/200ft and deeper.

I haven’t tested it myself, but in this video using a pressure tank, it looks like the AWU does record depth past 144 feet. The person in the video didn’t show details of what is logged on the deeper “dives”, but it looks like the data is there.

The best thing would be if someone here took the watch past 144 feet and shared the log details

I have some tech diving friends that are going to take my AWU on their next dive below 144 feet -- will hopefully happen in the next week or two. It's just a matter of getting schedules to coincide,

According to the oceanic dive app. No data is recorded post 144’. This was a bounce dive to 160’ with 2 other computers used. Apple Watch was just a testing toy.

Attachments

• 40293F70-9206-4327-8561-D47FD6983D6C.jpeg
    40293F70-9206-4327-8561-D47FD6983D6C.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 71
With the help of @JustStig, it looks like we can confirm that the Apple Watch Ultra depth sensor is either hardware or firmware limited to 44m/144ft. He used my app to export the data from the above dive into a UDDF file. It shows a period of 34 seconds with the depth at a constant 44.000 meters (with no variation whatsoever) while the Scubapro G2 profile he sent me showed a bounce dive to 159 feet.

Here is the profile of the UDDF file exported from the Apple HealthKit data.

Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 2.13.09 PM.png

Please note: the GF settings of 20/85 are mine set in Subsurface, not @JustStig's. Also note that the HealthKit data resumes recording as soon as you are above 44m/144ft while the Oceanic+ logbook profile keeps the lockout going for nearly 30 minutes.

While this is disappointing, I'm really not too surprised considering this is Apple's first foray into dive computer hardware. It's unfortunate that the divers that are using this as their primary computer are probably the ones least equipped to handle an unintended excursion below 44 meters.

It's unfortunate that the divers that are using this as their primary computer are probably the ones least equipped to handle an unintended excursion below 44 meters.
I'm thinking a wall dive with an unexpected down current. Assuming successful recovery, what happens with subsequent dives planned for the day?

I'm thinking a wall dive with an unexpected down current. Assuming successful recovery, what happens with subsequent dives planned for the day?
In another thread, @scubadada posted an exchange he had with Oceanic. If the 144’ limit is breached at all, gauge mode is all that will be available from that moment for the next 48 hours. Since HealthKit doesn’t record any depth deeper than this, it sounds like Oceanic would‘t have access to anything beyond 144’, so they opted for a lockout as any tissue data they had would be incorrect.

Post in thread 'New Apple Watch is a dive computer'
New Apple Watch is a dive computer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom