New Apeks XTX50 whistling sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I won't say it is normal let alone "perfectly" because non of my Apeks 1st or 2nd do that when dry.
Sometimes I have a same issue with the 1st stage after my own servicing(dry/wet). Extra wee bit of lube on the stem of the HP seat and the spring solve the problem.
Fluttering it is not related to the seats nor springs. I believe the author is talking about a different issue than the one you are experiencing. The rattling fluttering sound is very characteristic.

The diaphragms, cases and retaining plastic rings have small tolerances that make some 2nd stages vibrate and some not. It is PERFECTLY NORMAL and you can contact any official service center that will confirm this.

I will try to find a video describing fluttering for the OP to confirm if this is the noise he is listening to. If not, you might be right.

Dear Eldi,

Can you please tell us if this is the noise you are listening? The explanation on this video is extremely well done and I am happy it confirms my claims. As I said, it is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.
My S600 does exactly the same and that is an expensive piece of kit and what I wrote is what Scubapro replied to me 20 years ago.

Fluttering it is not related to the seats nor springs. I believe the author is talking about a different issue than the one you are experiencing. The rattling fluttering sound is very characteristic.

The diaphragms, cases and retaining plastic rings have small tolerances that make some 2nd stages vibrate and some not. It is PERFECTLY NORMAL and you can contact any official service center that will confirm this.

I will try to find a video describing fluttering for the OP to confirm if this is the noise he is listening to. If not, you might be right.
OP described: "rattly whistling sound"
Whistling is high frequency while fluttering is low frequency.

All my mates and myself have been using Apeks for many many yrs and none of us ever had any issue with the 2nd stages.
1st stage occasionally.

Dear Eldi,

Can you please tell us if this is the noise you are listening? The explanation on this video is extremely well done and I am happy it confirms my claims. As I said, it is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.
My S600 does exactly the same and that is an expensive piece of kit and what I wrote is what Scubapro replied to me 20 years ago.

Not whistling.

???????

Ummm NO! this will do absolutely nothing. What does the 1st stage have anything to do with the noise coming from the second stage due to it being dry??
As I recall several years earlier, my regulator began whistling around the 170 feet mark. I asked a service technician about the problem and he suggested silicone grease on the spring inside the Hollis DC1. Just recently I experienced the same problem with another stage regulator, another DC1. I spoke to another service technician, and he also agreed with the first technicians’ suggestion. So I removed the spring and placed silicone grease on both spring ends. Adjusted IP and Dingo! Problem solved. Sound is difficult to locate underwater; it may sound like the primary is whistling. I also use ATX50 first and second stages. They sometimes whistle but it goes away once I breathe underwater.

My original single tank reg, AL Legend LX Supreme, would honk like a goose on the surface. Worked fine underwater. Excellent breathing reg.

A mk25 piston 1st has done that to me before. Adding some more cristolube to piston fixed it.
Ditto to me with a brand new MK25 and brand new Atomic, the Atomic was whilst on a liveaboard, bugged the s.it out of me, was high enough to shatter glass, much like my current Benzo induced tinnitus. Only wish I could stuff grease in my ears to solve this problem too.

As others have said, assuming second stage flutter farting etc it's normal, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. Currently I have one G250 that does and one that doesn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom