New Airetex Atlantic or used RIX SA-6G?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claisen

New
Reaction score
Can the more experienced help me decide which one is the better purchase?

My budge is about $3,000 USD and I've finally decided between these two choices:

New Airetex Atlantic (Alkin, Nardi? Italy manufacturer?)

~4500 PSI MAX
~3.4 CFM

or

RIX SA-6G

~4500 PSI MAX
~6.5 CFM
~Low hours

Granted, RIX is oil-less, so you don't need to constantly mess with the manual drain like on the Atlantic. Of course, 6.5 CFM vs 3.4 CFM is a big bonus.

On the other hand, durability, ease of maintenance seems to be the thing holding me back on the RIX. I've heard that you need to change the valve rings and service the valves every 200 hours or so on the RIX (all 3 stages) - Would you have to do similar type of scheduled maintenance on the Atlantic?

Of course a new compressor will get a lot of mileage than used one. But the RIX has low hours.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciat

Not that I am an expert with either machine, but for me the rix would be the no-brainer choice. First, half the time to spend tending the machine (rix still has condensate to drain btw). Second, 200 hours is a lot of pumping time and if its personal use only I would bet that it would be every couple of years. Third, RIX and Bauer are basically the brand names in compressors and there are a lot of them out there, parts are available and people know how to work on them.

That said, if you are not a DIY type and want a dealer to deal with any issues for the warranty period then maybe new is better.The reviews that I have read suggest that the Alkin and Nardi are not in the same class.

Rix

Search Nardi on TDS and you'll find one owner who replaced his W31 (when it died) and the Nardi failed on him fast too.

I own a Alkin W31 with 380hrs and mine seems to be running fine. But its cool here and I try not to have long hot runs. If I had to do it all over again I would get an SA6.

You will need to operate the SA6's condensate drains just like with a oil lubed compressor. And you will need filtration as well.

The Alkin compressor block (Airtex) is made in Turkey.

The Coltri Sub blocks (Nuvair, Max Air, and many others) are made in Italy.

Bauer is made in Germany, and most people would consider them the best built compressors.

There are a number of military surplus compressors (made in USA) that might also be ideal for you application. Typically these used compressors are built to standards that you would not be willing to pay for. But are sold at deep discount used.

There are more than just initial purchase costs to keep in mind, operating costs, down time, and frustration/availability of parts are very important. Typically anything that is considered "standard" is more readily available and less expensive.

Rix has been in business for a very long time, and the parts are readily available.

Thanks for your inputs! I trust that Bauers are probably the best - but its is hard to get a hold of a good used one. I do see plenty of military surpluses for ~$1650. The problem is I have absolutely no idea what condition they are in. I saw a rare Bauers Utilis bidding for $2.1K on Ebay, but who knows where the final price will end.

Then earlier, I saw that Max Air 35 was selling new for $2700 range - and was told that this is a good compressor. I thought I was decided on Max Air 35 - now I'm turning back towards the RIX.

Like some have said, either way I will have to do some maintenance - probably spending much more time on changing the filter, condensate & drain in the oil-compressors in the long run than the more frequent ring/piston service for RIX. Well maybe not if I also have to operate the condensate on the RIX and give it another filter to take out the moist..

So what it comes down to is reliability & performance and most of people I talked to found RIX to be very reliable compressor. Foir similar price, why not get a big bonus in CFM and horsepower - therefore extending the life of the compressor in the long run.

-Thanks all, including oxyhacker, for giving me a better idea. I guess I can't go wrong with RIX or Max-35. I will get the RIX if it is the newer model.

I looked at various compressors for quite a while before I just waited and saved a little more cash and stepped up to a Bauer. Actually just the time was the issue as I got one at a great price.

What I noticed from all of the ones I saw:

There seemed to be a lot of Rix's sitting around in various states of disrepair. For a while it seemed there was a new one every other week on thedecostop, disassembled, needed parts to fix.

Andrew's ongoing problems with his Alkin W31 after it blew up with only 270 hours scared me.

The Bauers that were listed were almost always were running. The older ones were sometimes re-motored, but the basic blocks seemed to run forever with nothing more than oil changes and sometimes valve replacements. Parts were available but sometimes expensive.

For What It's Worth

I'm in the process of re-working a '90's, can't remember if it's 91 or 94, Capitano. Single phase, 230VAC, 60 hz. I will be selling it for $1,500.00. It is a standard basic unit on a Euro compact frame.

Craig

Back
Top Bottom