New Aeris Download Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've exchanged e-mails with Doug. He was off in the UK for a bit.
He knows about and is working his guys to fix the SAC calculations. I bet
he is probably swamped in e-mails and catching up with work at this point.

--- bill

Ogre,

I have the elite and do like it very much. Don't confuse the software with the use of the actual computer during your dive. The software is only what you use to interface the diving computer with your home computer. I'm pretty sure you get that, but just for any other folks who may read this and get confused. Call me Mr. Obvious, lol.

This is something that most divers don't even do or care to do. It is a cool thing to download your dive to your home computer, but once you do it several times, chances are you won't do it anymore unless you log your dives ONLY on your home computer. I do like to see my dives sometimes, but the novelty has almost worn off now. Also, I have seen complaints about ALL of the companies computer interface software. Not just aeris. It's a free software that comes with many new computers. The key word is free. Not that it shouldn't work and be decent, as a computer like the elite is expensive and even the basic software should do its job. My point is, don't let the software change your mind if you really like the elite. It's just not that big of a deal, like you said.

Another problem is that many new computer users just have issues connecting external devices (like ipods, printers, palm pilots, etc...) to the home computer for too many reasons to mention here. Some of the more common reasons include an old home computer and only a very basic knowleadge of computers in the first place. While the software for aeris was always pretty basic and sometimes a little buggy, it always worked for me. Ofcourse the good news is aeris seems to be tackling this minor issue. Good luck!

Sure, the software is free, but the stinkin' cable is $100, so I do expect much better.

But with that said, it's all about the diving not the downloading. I love my Atmos AI.

bperrybap:
Here are my numbers from one of my dives:
Pressure used: 2282 PSI
Elapsed Time: 48 minutes
AV Depth: 38.8 FT
MAX Depth: 88 Ft
SAC rate = (2282) / (48) / ( ( 38.8 + 33) / 33 )
SAC rate = (2282) / (48) / ( ( 71.8) / 33)
SAC rate = (2282) / (48) / (2.1758)
SAC rate = 21.85

When I plug your numbers into a spreadsheet, it says the SAC is 0.58 cubic feet/minute, assuming an 80 cubic foot 3000 PSI cylinder. You're (and Aeris claims to be) computing PSI/minute, but I'm not sure that's very useful to know. For example, if you change cylinder sizes (and leave everything else the same) you'll end up with very different consumption when measured in PSI/minute but your consumption in cubic feet/minute will not change. It's more useful for me to know what volume of gas I blow through in a given time than how much I lower the pressure in the cylinder. Sure, I can do the math and convert, but I tend to think of breathing gas in terms of volumes.

The Aeris software is still reporting some silly made-up number, I agree. It claims to be PSI/minute but it's not that or any other units I can can figure out.

HappyFunBoater:
Sure, the software is free, but the stinkin' cable is $100, so I do expect much better.

But with that said, it's all about the diving not the downloading. I love my Atmos AI.

If you look around, you can find the USB Aeris download cable for $50 from
an online retailer.

--- bill

Hello everyone -

I am here, just trying to keep up with this topic on several posts. We are in the process of consolidating all of the comments to date and will address them as soon as we are able. Our developers are finalizing a couple of other projects and will begin working on the next Oceanic / AERIS release. As always, a patch will be posted on our web site(s) and I will post it here as well.

I can't thank everyone that has taken the time to contact us, either through Scubaboard, PM or email. This has been a great experience - time consuming, but ultimately a great help in developing a product that meets everyone's needs and expectations. Keep it coming, we truly appreciate the feedback we have received.

Doug

I love my Atmos2 but the DL cable is too dang quirky. I have to hold it juuuust right to get it to connect. For the price of the cable it should work perfectly.

Joe

Thanks SCUBADOBADOO for the info. I have made up my mind and will be getting an AERIS ELITE in about 2 weeks. I sent an e-mail to Larry at SCUBATOYS.COM and he is going to help me out. Larry don't get a big head or anything but thank you for all your help.
Ogre

Back
Top Bottom