New ACLS????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When your the only one at a scene that knows whats going on, you can do what ever you need to.

Interesting thread - thanks for the read and insight. Speaking as the guy who is front line teaching CPR/AED to the average Joe or Jane on the street, the new stuff not only makes teaching technique easier, but with the AEDs being more in the picture it increases the patients odds of

In the mode of this thread:
Most, if not all, current monitors function in both AED and Manual modes. Is there any evidence to suggest that one mode is superior to the other when measured by outcome?

Certainly common practice is to use the manual mode if trained to do so. But, is this a matter of custom, or of demonstrably better outcome?

Maybe it was discussed already...any problems with wet boats and saline? (AED)

catherine96821:
Maybe it was discussed already...any problems with wet boats and saline? (AED)

Much has been discussed; but I didn't see a comparison.

Wet boats, etc was discussed some time ago. Reviewed basic electricity and talked to Zoll and other manufacturers. Upshot was that little or no danger of accidental defibrillation exists for the attending team even in wet conditions. To prevent skin burns and ineffective defibrillation the chest area should be dry.

It is a matter of electicity taking the path of least resistance between the two electrical contacts.

By the way: With all your sun and flowers and green as compared to my snow, freezing rain and cloud; why are you behind a computer?:)

She has an adiction.....

This discussion is way outside my area, but I think I can understand most of it.

I'm saying here and now, if I have a cardiac episode, DO NOT RESUSITATE!

I've really got to get that in writing somewhere. Can I print this out and carry it with me? Whose my witness?

CBulla:
Interesting thread - thanks for the read and insight. Speaking as the guy who is front line teaching CPR/AED to the average Joe or Jane on the street, the new stuff not only makes teaching technique easier, but with the AEDs being more in the picture it increases the patients odds of

I teach CPR, too. You're right, the new stuff is easier to teach and to remember.

The problem isn't that the lay person stuff is heading in the wrong direction, it's that the professional level stuff isn't too great. The majority of the posters in this thread are paramedics, nurses, and doctors that do this on a day to day basis. Dumbing it down for Joe Blow is fine, but to start including some of those standards at the professional level isn't necessary.

ArcticDiver:
Certainly common practice is to use the manual mode if trained to do so. But, is this a matter of custom, or of demonstrably better outcome?

It's a matter of control. I don't want a machine making a decision for me. Besides, I've worked with doctors that have wanted to shock unshockable rhythms. One particular instance was artifact that the doctor thought was Vfib. It was actually asystole! I don't know what an AED would have read it as, but shocking asystole isn't proper.

catherine96821:
any problems with wet boats and saline? (AED)

ArcticDiver already answered this, but I'll add that I've read the same. Recommended to move the patient to a dry (drier) area, but damp or mildly wet surfaces shouldn't pose a problem. Just wear your booties. They're insulated.

I have to say, in my training, the principle was that, if there was any activity on the monitor at all, even if you were pretty sure it was artifact, you would shock, because shock doesn't HURT somebody in asystole, but not shocking is certainly going to be the death of somebody in fine V fib.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom