New a6xxx housing from Meikon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just did my first dive with a sony A6400, 16-50 kit lens and the 4" dome and it would not obtain focus (the dome is too close to the lens) except once at about 20 mm, out of 70 shots . Will be trying it again if I can figure out how to get a diopter to Grand Cayman, as no one here carries them. I emailed SeaFrogs and they replied that it was OK for them to claim the 4" dome would work with the kit lens as it might work for some people some of the time. It does not. (They did propose that the best solution was to sell me a 6" dome). So If you do use the 16-50 either get the 6" dome or a diopter (disclaimer: I have not tried either, so am only assuming that a diopter or larger dome will work.)

Just received the diopter set, and the +2 diopter did the trick. Focusing fine now.

Expecting my 8" dome today in the mail. Next is a lens shopping trip...

I never have a specific photographic objective when on a dive... I just shoot structures that I find visually appealing or the occasional pics of other divers for interesting silhouettes, perspective or for their own memories. I'm colour blind so macro critters seem to elude my detection. I generally end up with a lot of close up wide angle shots (if that makes any sense) but not necessarily macro pics or ultra wide angles either so I'm thinking a rectilinear prime lens... leaning towards the SEL50F18B. Been really happy with my 30mm macro lens for captures so far but sometimes find I'm trying to get a little closer to certain subjects. Including a pic of my usual style for reference.

Thoughts? SO many lenses to choose from!

open

open
DSC01146 (Custom).JPG
DSC00914 (Custom).JPG
DSC00552 (Custom).JPG

leaning towards the SEL50F18B
It'll be a little more money, but have you considered the sigma 56mm f1.4?

Although that much zoom is a bit out of the ordinary for a non-macro lens, so not sure how much underwater use it has seen. Most people seem to go wider, not narrower.

my A6xxx housing flooded on my second dive today. No idea why, as I did not touch anything on the housing between dives and and it was fine sitting in the tank between dives. Started beeping as I was descending , so I was able to come up and remove the camera without any damage. The DM on board dried it out and the leak alarm turned off.

I rinsed out the inside when I got home, and the leak detector started beeping, of course. I dried out the inside with a towel and it still beeps. I dried it further using a hair dryer on low, and as best as I can tell the detector strip is dry- but after an hour the thing is still beeping.

Does anyone know how to deactivate, reset, or turn off the leak detector?

SeaFrogs was very responsive to email when I have had issues with the on/off switch insert falling out. First time they sent a new insert, second time a new insert and new switch. I've also messaged them on FaceBook but best results were email.

I assume Meikon is equally responsive to what should be a warranty issue.

my A6xxx housing flooded on my second dive today. No idea why, as I did not touch anything on the housing between dives and and it was fine sitting in the tank between dives. Started beeping as I was descending ----- Does anyone know how to deactivate, reset, or turn off the leak detector?

I know people put their cameras in the "tanks" between dives and be my guest but I do not and will not. I will dip it or rinse it but I will not and do not leave my camera rig floating, banging, jostling around inside a camera rinse tank. The operative word being a rinse tank, not home base to hang out between dives tank. I have seen so many cameras flooded in those tanks or immediately after residing in said tanks not to mention damaged, scratched, broken, and worse, scratched optics or ports. And I will not even harp on the thoughtless divers who rinse their masks and spit in the "camera" rinse tank. I would rather dip my head in a bucket Corvid 19 than put my camera in that toxic mess. Some boats have a freshwater hose, if available, me and the camera use that.

You could remove the battery to stop the beeping. Of course you no longer have the leak detector function which seems to be rather important?

N

I know people put their cameras in the "tanks" between dives and be my guest but I do not and will not. I will dip it or rinse it but I will not and do not leave my camera rig floating, banging, jostling around inside a camera rinse tank. The operative word being a rinse tank, not home base to hang out between dives tank. I have seen so many cameras flooded in those tanks or immediately after residing in said tanks not to mention damaged, scratched, broken, and worse, scratched optics or ports. And I will not even harp on the thoughtless divers who rinse their masks and spit in the "camera" rinse tank. I would rather dip my head in a bucket Corvid 19 than put my camera in that toxic mess. Some boats have a freshwater hose, if available, me and the camera use that.

You could remove the battery to stop the beeping. Of course you no longer have the leak detector function which seems to be rather important?

N

I hear you and am just as cautious as you, although in this case I was the only one of the 6 of us on board who had a camera, so that probably wasn't the issue. And we all used the hose to rinse with as the only tank on board was reserved for cameras (and the DM pointed this out to the folks on board). I'm trying to locate the battery but looks like I may have to pull the whole unit. several hours later it's beeping still, so probably not moisture. I contacted seafrogs and we'll see what they say. Hope they send a new leak detection unit. Anyway, at least the camera survived.

. Anyway, at least the camera survived.

Well, that is good, thank goodness! :) I have been there several times prior to leak detectors and vacuum systems. I watched my Ikelite fill up at 120 feet years ago. Flooded my new Oceanic strobe (Nikonos) and more recently now a few years back, flooded my S90. Kaput. But I had a spare and the housing was overhauled to new condition by Reef. Uh, yeah, a piece of fuzz from a Q-tip /: . The room was dark, my eyesight not so good and I did not have my glasses on when I closed the housing, being in a rush. Hope you get if fixed up.

James

I've been following this thread from the beginning and I finally received received my SeaFrogs A6XXX housing. I was wondering if it would be okay, if I post my own review thread since it looks like it's been reviewed once or twice from a few people on SB.

I noticed that a few SeaFrogs A6XXX users are located in Southern California (SoCal)? Would you guys/gals be interested in meeting up maybe doing a SeaFrogs beach dive or boat dive once this whole coronvirus thing settles down?

Cameras that I own: Sony A6000 and Sony A6500

Some of the lenses that I have:
Sony 10-18mm
Sigma 16mm (in for repair at the moment)
Sigma 19mm Art
Samyang 8mm fisheye
Rokinon 12mm
Sony 16mm pancake lens
Sony 30mm macro lens
Sony 35mm
Sony 50mm
Sony 18-105
Sony 16-50 (kit lens)
Sony 55-210
** Sony 90mm macro ** (getting this soon)

Ports that I have so far:
4" dome port
6" dome port
67mm short macro port
standard flat port
** long flat macro port (hopefully getting this soon)

I might be down. I'm moving in August, but if schedules align before then...

I've been shooting all week with the sigma 19 art and the Sony 30mm macro on my a6000. Been pretty happy with the results for a first outing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom