New a6xxx housing from Meikon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanadaDan

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
They just 'announced' a new housing with port system, dry dome +++ coming this December. Looking forward to trying it this winter. Not ready to change cameras yet but this will be an 'inexpensive' upgrade

https://instagram.com/p/BaqfvabHTUB/

Capture.JPG

Hopefully supports the 10-18mm. If so, I might be in...

Yeah, that's my thought exactly - and what else are they going to target with a dry dome for A6xxx series if not the 10-18mm? 16mm with converter? Samyang/Rokinon? Zeiss 12mm? If only SEL1018 wasn't so expensive...

Hopefully supports the 10-18mm. If so, I might be in...
You should be good. The write up states (in part):
... Here are some of the key aspects of it: It will have interchangeable port system, viewfinder, new locking mechanism, pistol grip with trigger (for all the surfers out there), dry dome port (especially for 10-18mm lens) ...

Meikon have posted the details:

-abilily to use it with a6000/a6300/a6500 cameras
-optical viewfinder
-interchangeable port system: standard port, 6” dry dome port, macro lens port
-ability to control manual zoom (at the moment only for 16-50mm lens and 10-18mm)
-inbuilt leak sensor
-detachable pistol grip with trigger button
-control of all camera functions
And many other new tweaks as well as previously available functions.

Prices:
- housing with standard port for 16-50mm & 10-18mm(zoom control available):297$ US
-6” Dry dome port: 185$US
-Pistol grip: 120$US -150$US

Right now first few of these units are being tested at the depth of 70 meters In Philippines and in hard shore breaks of Bali and Australia.

Sales will start around 15-17 th of January.

Looks like the standard flat port is way bigger than 67mm diameter to accommodate the 10-18mm lens, so it won't be taking any regular accessories - but with dedicated dome and macro port options, it doesn't really need to. No mention of macro port specifics so far - I wonder if it will use the same port that they already have for FE 90mm on their A7 II series housing.

This is amazing! I have been regretting selling the sigma 19mm after I bought the 16mm f1.4, because I now have no wide angle lens that fits the original seafrog A6xxx housing. Now instead of buying another 19mm, I can just get a better housing for 16mm instead!

By the way, I've been using the original seafrog a6xxx with a6300 for a while and bought the sigma 19mm, sony 30mm macro specifically for underwater. I use a Sea&Sea YS03. I also bought the 67mm flip adapter and meikon wet dome.

My 16-50mm is horribly de-centered. Left 1/5 and corners are completely mess even after zooming to 24mm+ and stopping down to f8. Focus is fine behind the meikon wet dome, but only for the wider end - it wont focus past 35mm-ish. I generally only use it for video because of OSS and less demand on sharpness.

I tried to use the 19mm with the meikon wet dome but was never happy with the general softness of the picture. I ended up shooting without the dome and cropping out the corners instead. The biggest down side for 19mm is that - it sometimes hunt for focus especially behind the dome, so it is not good for video.

The sony 30mm marco worked very well and I would recommend it. I had to cut the rubber of the extra a6000 adapter to make it fit. Interestingly, 30mm will focus behind the wet dome and to make it somewhat wide. I occasionally carry the dome with the flip adapter when shooting marco in case I need to shoot something wide during the dive.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom