New a6xxx housing from Meikon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the input, that towel idea sounds great. I might try and find the issue first, as you say if its only in the backplate would be easier just to send that back. I have been using it for about 6 months just freediving, this was the first time I've taken it deep and first time using the VPS. It's performed fine up until now.

I recently got the VPS100 for mine, took it on a dive to 36m for 45 min and surfaced with about a tablespoon or 2 of water in the housing. Vacumn indicator still showed green. I can only assume one of the buttons is the issue. Any thoughts on best way to find the leak? Read about using talcumn powder to show where drips are falling but putting anything dusty in my housing sounds like a massive pain.

That sounds very worrysome. At least 1 spoon of water inside and Vacuum indicator still green!!!. No sounds or light from the leak detector?

regards

That sounds very worrysome. At least 1 spoon of water inside and Vacuum indicator still green!!!.

VPS-100 monitors the air pressure inside the housing - it's green if the pressure is below a certain level, and red when the pressure is above it. The internal volume of the housing is several liters (depending on the port installed) - a spoonful of water entering will not cause the pressure to change by any appreciable amount, so it makes perfect sense for the vacuum indicator to stay green.

And what about the Moisture detector inside the housing? Did it work?

It makes some sense your explaination but I am still not clear.
When I test the housing with the VPS, the simple fact of removing its cap turns the red light on after a few seconds. I assume it means detector sensed the change of pressure with just the air it let in after uncaping.

I also assume that if you dive with the detector on green, pressure inside housing should be lower than 1 atm and if housing is "hermetic" pressure should not vary unless due to deformation of polycarbonate under pressure.

In any case, if that may happen it would make then non sense to leave the leak detector on during the dive since the differential pressure would be higher and the vacuum inside would "force" the water in more than if detector is removed and cap screwed back.

Regards

Did you finally find where the leak was?
How long did it take for all that amount of water to get in after the moisture detector sounded?
regards

Unfortunately the battery was quite low so I didn't hear it until I was back on the surface. I know from previous experience it doesn't take much to set it off though, a little moisture on the end of your finger will do it. I haven't had a chance to test at depth yet, will hopefully be able to this weekend.

It happened once to me with a Fantasea housing with a Canon camera. I didn't hear the alarm but fortunately that time it wasn't fatal. Since them I try to be more in alert.
regards

Unfortunately the battery was quite low so I didn't hear it until I was back on the surface. I know from previous experience it doesn't take much to set it off though, a little moisture on the end of your finger will do it. I haven't had a chance to test at depth yet, will hopefully be able to this weekend.

Just curious, when did you buy the housing? The early models had an issue where the back panel button cluster leaked slightly between 5 and 10 meters, see this post - Meikon replaced the affected parts very quickly. You might be running into that issue or something similar.

Screwball,

It would be interesting for all your answer to Barmaglot's question/curiosity.

regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom