New a6xxx housing from Meikon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How does one get service in the US?

Define 'service'. For manufacturing defects, CanadaDan here in this thread had a new back shipped to him free of charge. Spare O-rings are listed here - you can order what you need and change them yourself. As for taking apart and servicing all the buttons and knobs, replacing springs, small o-rings, grease, etc - I haven't seen any mentions of them offering such a service, and if they did, I imagine it would involve shipping the housing to Hong Kong and back. You could try writing their support; they're generally pretty responsive.

Edit: I asked support, and as I thought, they'll service the housings, but you'll have to pay for shipping to Hong Kong and back. Looking at seafrogs.com.hk, shipping costs for the A6xxx with the least expensive option (Hong Kong Post e-Packet) is about $18 to NYC - I suppose a round-trip should be in the $40-50 range, plus of course the servicing cost.

Last edited:
Yay, two packages in the mail today! One containing a pair of ST-100 Pro strobes, the other a VPS-100 and a 4-inch dome. First impressions:

1) Whoa, those strobes are big! They feel considerably more bulky than my Archon D36V lights, and weigh about the same.
2) Oops, there is no YS to ball adapter in the package. Oh well, another $17.98 to some random Aliexpress dealer; now I just have to wait another 3-4 weeks for them to get here.
3) Strobe battery compartment lid is very tight and seals with dual o-rings.
4) English user manual is included.
5) My order of sixteen Eneloop Pros is still somewhere between China and Israel, so I can't actually power up the strobes and do real testing.
6) The VPS-100 works as advertised - attach, pump out the air, it starts blinking green. If the housing isn't sealed properly, it switches to red.
7) The small dome ships with a KitDive neoprene cover in the package.
8) Alas, 7Artisans 7.5mm f/2.8 fisheye lens suffers from some corner vignetting in the dome - small as it is, that lens is just too wide. A little bit of defishing will probably get rid of those.
9) Mounting that little dome is a struggle - with the six inch dome, there's a lot more leverage, plus I can twist it by the hood petals, while this one is smooth all around - I had to push as hard as I could for the bayonet to engage.

Six weeks until I can get it in the water for a proper test.

Any update on keeping the VPS-100 attached to the housing while diving? The “lowest common denominator” rational seems a little contrived. It seems to me to be easier to leave it in and pressurized than to be swapping out seals.

Thanks

Any update on keeping the VPS-100 attached to the housing while diving? The “lowest common denominator” rational seems a little contrived. It seems to me to be easier to leave it in and pressurized than to be swapping out seals.

Thanks

Agreed, the instructions seem pretty stupid...

I talked with Miso recently, he is going to send me an adapter for the Leak Sentinal soon here. When I get a chance I'll post an update and some pics.

Honestly, with the VPS-100 priced at $150 and sounding like they put it on the website without verifying it's waterproof (see post #133). I'd much rather pay the $210 for the Leak Sentinal V4. Also, Miso is extremely responsiveness and will answer all your questions straight-up without giving you the run-around.

has anyone of you got port cap for this case? There are 3 different types on Meikon site and I am wondering if Type 3 would fit.

Miso has completed the adapters for the SeaFrogs housing -- I received the first adapter to go out with a Leak Sentinal. I actually splurged a little and got the V5 but I'm sure the V4 would work just as well.

I haven't had it in the water yet but so far it looks great and appears to be operating just fine!

Glad to see the Leak Sentinel! I have the housing for the Sony a9, so being unwilling to wait, I went ahead and got the Sea Frogs VPS-100 until this came out. I have used it for a couple of dives and per the instructions have removed it prior to each dive. All was well and I was feeling a little safer taking what amounts to a used car under the water. I can say that the VPS-100 seems a little on the delicate side, such that I am not sure I would trust it under pressure absent the mfg explicitly stating it was OK.

Yesterday, I received up a Dome to use with the Batis 18mm lens (BTW - Sea Frogs was very helpful in selecting the right dome). After swapping out the ports, I could not get the vacuum to hold - even after swapping back. The dome was a much tighter fit than the stock port, so I was thinking I broke something somewhere. After much frustration, I traced the leak to the vacuum port (I think - still not entirely sure). I got it cleaned up and working, but it left me a little cold on relying on the VPS-100 and swapping out parts just prior to a dive.

I have e-mail Miso asking when I can get a Leak Sentinal.

Got a chance to test the 7Artisans 7.5mm f/2.8 fisheye lens in the water, behind the 4" dome port, with the zoom ring from 16-50mm on the lenses focus ring and aperture preset to f/8, diving the Dunraven wreck near Sharm el-Sheikh. For a first attempt, never having shot fisheyes before, I'm pretty happy with the results. Note that these originally had black corners, which I cut off by moving the 'distortion' slider in Capture One to 70%.

JPYErpn.jpg

jxmBKXu.jpg

GF6dQws.jpg

RhJuC1r.jpg

Back
Top Bottom