New 5mm or add shorty over a 3mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctock993

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving for several years and I have found as I loose more body weight and do more underwater photography (lots of hovering/ no movement), I'm getting colder and colder in tropical waters.

I used to just wear a lycra skin - now I wear a full 3mm Pinnacle Merino lined wetsuit.

On my last dive trip, the night dive was "freezing" to me (computer reported 76degrees), and the #14-18 dives of the trip (78-82 degrees) felt colder and colder.

I'm headed to a 10 day u/w photo trip in Raja Ampat where the waters will be approximately the same temps, but a potential for 30+ dives.

Would other folks suggest adding a shorty over my current wetsuit or buying a new 5mm suit? (Debating between the new Pinnacle Tempo vs. WaterProof W2)

I did pick up a 2mm neoprene cap to add to the heat-loss reduction - which will be new for the upcoming dives.

I am a fan of the WP and 4th Element suits (I have both and find the 4th element a warmer suit). But for what you are doing the addition of a shorty would allow you more physical flexability, the thicker the suit the more restrictive they are.

I wear a 2.5 mm hooded vest under my 3.5 full suit here in Belize this time of year. The hood and covering my core makes a big difference.

I have a two piece, hooded 1.5 mm with farmer john, chest high pants. That is a LOT warmer than my normal 1.5 with a separate hood.

Everyone has different thermal sensitivities, but I found adding a good hood, more than just a cap, added significantly to my comfort level in the Pinnacle Merino. i'm typically as comfortable as fellow divers in 5 mm. again, there are personal differences, but considering how much heat is lost from the head, you should consider this as a lost cost alternative. Added benefit: when you are looking for that shot under a ledge the hood gives you a bit of abrasion protection!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom