New 500 LED cannister

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't look like the Corded LED Head ... this Head looks different than the one on the Dive Rite site
.. although it being one that was put together is not out of the question

That is not a product Dive Rite sales. It is two different things, I believe they took the Corded LED head and put it on a canister from the HID canister lights. I am a DR dealer and we have not gotten any news about this so I think is was put together. Kathleen would know best she is the marketing director for Dive Rite.
Also are you sure you have the 500 LED they just came out in the last month, cause I got my 300 LED order at DEMA and got it in Late DEC and then this one came out.

If you look at the picture I dont think so, the head unit is not the same as the head off the LED 500 handheld and the packaging certainley says DiveRite, of course this could be fake but some how I dont think so.

Yes I am most definately sure I have the LED 500 its what I paid for, they have been selling those since January, and from what I heard actually perhaps since December (depending on actual production date) but they just didnt know it. (talk to kathleen about that)

Lets wait to hear what Kathleen says once she has actually looked at the photos of said light...:wink:

looking at the picture again the head is not the same, at least the outside is not. I think they took the guts of the LED and put it in a HID head.

Plus why would you want this anyway the current one is like 12 hrs full power and then goes for a long time lowering its output.

Plus the current one is alot lighter which is a plus.

Guess we will have to wait and see.

looking at the picture again the head is not the same, at least the outside is not. I think they took the guts of the LED and put it in a HID head.

Plus why would you want this anyway the current one is like 12 hrs full power and then goes for a long time lowering its output.

Plus the current one is alot lighter which is a plus.

Guess we will have to wait and see.

I wouldnt actually want it but Id wait for a highr lumen LED to come out seeing as I already have a 500 dont need two. The current DR "real" LED 500 corded unit is a bit gimmicky for what is basically an extension cord, its very touchy and i had to pad out the battery tray so when it was in the canister part it would work more reliably, prior to the modification sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldnt, for the additional $160 (depending on if you buy it seperate or as a combo) I would not recommend it, if you really want a canister light then buy a real canister battery pack which Im sure is reliable ie when you turn it on it actually works.

Not only that but by using this "extension cord" you have increased potential leaks from one or two points, glass and twist section, to five points for potential leaks which is still more than if you were using a proper canister battery set up.

You say that the current one is a lot lighter? what current one are you speaking about? the 300 and 500 are identical so they weigh the same and we dont know the weight of the "mystery" light...so what is a lot lighter than what? Im confused? The real LED 500 has an aluminium light head the "mystery" one looks to be a plastic/delrin or the like so the diff may only be between the battery on the "Mystery" and the light head on the "real" perhaps very similar in total weight I would guess?

The Op says the her light has 30hours when fully charged so thats actually the same as the output on the "real" LED 500 using the 8 AAs. Perhaps even more because we dont know at what output the 30 hours on the "mystery" light is.

None of the DiveRite HID heads are the same size as the "mystery"light, so I dont think anyone "took the guts out", could be wrong tho.

I dont think its a customer modification and I dont think its a shop modification it is badged DiveRite I will assume as the OP said it was "an Australian release only"...kathleen Im sure will advise in due course, a reply I am keen to see....:)

I gonna lay bets its a DiveRite genuine article that no one told Kathleen about or we arent supposed to know about this product yet until they have moved some of the corded LED 500s ( I suspect the latter is more probable)....and then it will miraculously appear as part of the new Spring Line of products...money makes the world go round...

Its a mystery....:wink:

None of the DiveRite HID heads are the same size as the "mystery"light, so I dont think anyone "took the guts out", could be wrong tho.

I dont think its a customer modification and I dont think its a shop modification it is badged DiveRite I will assume as the OP said it was "an Australian release only"...kathleen Im sure will advise in due course, a reply I am keen to see....:)

Its a mystery....:wink:

The light in the refernced photos is the head/cord/can from a Dive Rite Sunpot (fixed focus HID) with a some kind of 3 bulb LED insert - can't say who did the mod, but Dive Rite is a small Lake City, Florida based company and they wouldn't have something released first in Australia. I promise that all of their new products are extensively tested in FL caves before they go anywhere else. I was at Dive Rite 3 weeks ago and this was not a product that they had. We had an extensive conversation about LED lights while I was there.

Jackie

The light in the refernced photos is the head/cord/can from a Dive Rite Sunpot (fixed focus HID) with a some kind of 3 bulb LED insert - can't say who did the mod, but Dive Rite is a small Lake City, Florida based company and they wouldn't have something released first in Australia. I promise that all of their new products are extensively tested in FL caves before they go anywhere else. I was at Dive Rite 3 weeks ago and this was not a product that they had. We had an extensive conversation about LED lights while I was there.

Jackie

Thanks for that info, so if what you say is correct then there is a fraud afoot...

Ill wait for the official DiveRite line on this one, It all seems very very strange to me...:)

If the original poster is reading this can you provide some info on this purchase i.e what store did you get it from? Ill PM too....:wink:

This is from the post on the Dive-Oz website ...
where did A1 get it from ?($$$)
cheers
Frog Dive Guildford... 9892-3422
This model apparently has been released only in Australia and you are correct it is not on DRE.
There is a special on it right now, $999
Talk to Luke @ Guildford but I am sure that Dennis would appreciate the call as well 99585699.

Now see what you have done, now she knows how much it was. [}:)]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom