Nevis in August.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelK.:
I am making plans to take the wife to Nevis in August. Has anyone been there yet? Are there any good dive sites?

The diving on Nevis/St. Kitts is nice, but not incredible. No major pelagics, but the reefs are in excellent shape. The dive op I used (on Nevis-I can't rememer the name) was nice to deal with. St. Kitts is so close that you will be diving near both shores.

On a side note, if you're not staying at the Four Seasons, make some time to stop by and check it out. The facilities are gorgeous and if you play golf, the course is nothing short of spectacular. Sunshines "restaurant" is right next door, and the food and drinks are great-and reasonably priced.

The locals on the island are some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet.

Have a great trip, and dive safe!

edit: The dive op I used was Scuba Safaris. It's a small shack, but has everything you might need.

Thanks. DD

We will be staying at the Four Seasons. I have heard it's the best. If you have any other tips, would love to hear them.

No other tips. Just enjoy it. It was the nicest 10 days I've spent anywhere. Take lots of books and magazines!!

MichaelK.:
I am making plans to take the wife to Nevis in August. Has anyone been there yet? Are there any good dive sites?

Just got back from Nevis last week. My gf and I did our OW certification with Scuba Safaris. They are the only operator on Nevis. I believe there are 3 other operators on St. Kitts, but since it's about 30 min across the channel at full throttle, you'll probably just want to stick with Scuba Safaris. They do pick up folks directly from the dock at the 4 Seasons.

Ellis is the name of the guy who runs the operation. We were with one of the DM's, Deuce. I was fully expecting them to run on "island time" but I must say that they were always ready for us when we arrived - we were never waitng on them.

Since this was my first OW dive opportunity, I can't really say if the diving was good or not, but we liked it. They'll probably take you to a site called Nags Head which is right off the southern tip of St. Kitts. It's a sloping reef that goes from about 20ft down to 60ft. Saw a few spotted eagle rays there. The other dive site is called Booby High Shoals (yes, it's pronounced like it's spelled). This one was pretty cool - about 35 ft. max. Under 4 ledges we were able to spot at least one or two nurse sharks. Guessing they were each about 6ft long.

Overall, Nevis is a great little island. With only 10,000 inhabitants everyone seems to know everyone else. They always seem honk and waive when approaching other vehicles.

Like the previous poster said, head for Sunshines. It is literally just over the southern property line of the 4 seasons right on the beach. If you have some non-diving days, try the famous Killer Bee. If they have the lobster - get it, it's great.

I highly recommend the catamaran trip on the Caona with Lennox and his crew. You can tell he takes immense pride in his boat and his crew will bring you complimentary beverage after beverage informing you that "the more you drink, the colder they get!" It's a 3 hour trip which stops at a snorkeling site off St. Kitts. I think it runs about $55 / person and it's well worth it - it was the most relaxing (active) thing we did while there.

Dave

Ah, the Killer Bees! I only have partial recollection of those evenings....

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but Deuce was my DM also. Nice guy, and a good diver too.

Thanks Guys,

I spoke to Ellis the other day. Sounds like a good guy. He said he will takes were we want to go. I should be booking my room and dives in the next few days. Hope to get lots of bottom time. Please keep the info coming.

Back
Top Bottom