Never hear anything about Greenforce

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They're made in Belgium IIRC, which is why they might not be common where you are, but they are certainly common here.

They're really great lights and very robust. A friend of mine was at a dive expo once and told me that greenforce was there driving nails into a board using one of their lamp-heads while the light was burning. Try *that* with some of the competitor's products! LOL

R..

facts :
- retro style (aluminium treatement-eloxation brass colour )

- to big - to clumpy (lightgeads special HID with connector might take whole hand from wrist to
elbow)

- heads from aluminium (must be careful)

- clumsy goodman ( lighthead it is on the '' hend'' - (M=Fxr ) big torque on wrist)

- uncomfortable tanks - special arrow line ( in younger days I made ''copy'' (was fan) and fix it
to my air tank - then I realize all problems with that stayle (they are very long - like pipe up to 70cm with
connector ; problem is also routing of cable )

- aluminium tanks ( must be careful and wrap it with strong adhesive tape or scratches will
damage eloxation layer and corrosion will appear )

- unique clumsy connectors which work also as switch with twisting ON-OFF. Very old but
effective solution which is in modern technic outlive ( small arc between connection ) .
Connector is long arround 2-2,5'' and 1'' thick and heavy like small modern light!
Connector on the heads are male / on the cable female with 3 Oring . On the tank female connector : that why
can be lighthead mounted direct in to the battery tank

- new lights special focusable with black ring on the head seems interesting and smaller ( not have in my hands )

- led heads a little outdated ( old type leds and optics ) , but they give a great enclosure to DIY
stronger upgrade.

-heads and tanks can be mutual interchengable due connectors ( but in real world who practice that ?? )

-never understood connection : story GreenForce / TillyTec (Scubapro)

-price to heavy

This is my point of view !

Last edited:
facts :
- retro style (brass )
Actually they're made from Aluminum and delrin

- to big - to clumpy (lightgeads special HID with connector might take whole hand from wrist to elbow)
One of the possiblilities is to screw the light head straight into the battery pack in which case what is described here is a possibility. Ordinarily, however, a cable is placed between the batter and the light head. the light heads are larger than say a LOLA one because the ballast is in the light head but the length of them is probably about 10-15 cm. (haven't measured). They fit comfortably on teh back of the hand in my experience.

- heads from aluminium (must be careful)
What else would you want the head made from? As I said above and this is my personal experience with them too, they're highly robust as compared to some of the other products on the market.

- clumsy goodman ( lighthead it is on the '' hend'' - (M=Fxr ) big torque on wrist)
This is true. There are two "goodman" handles you can buy for the greenforce and one of them isn't very good.

- uncomfortable tanks - special arrow line ( in younger days I made ''copy'' (was fan) and fix it to my air tank - then I realize all problems with that stayle (they are very long - like pipe up to 70cm with connector ; problem is also routing of cable )
These battery packs are still available but they also have much more compact ones called teh "flexi" packs which are much more compact and can be hung on a harnas like a traditional can-light.

- aluminium tanks ( must be careful and wrap it with strong adhesive tape or scratches will damage eloxation layer and corrosion will appear )
I can't address this because I have no experience with these battery packs but the flexi ones are made from delrin and will not rust. I've also never heard of people having a lot of trouble with aluminium "rusting".... YYMV

- unique clumsy connectors which work also as switch with twisting ON-OFF. Very old but effective solution which is in modern technic outlive ( small arc between connection ) .
A detail that seems to have no effect on the light's functionality or longevity.

Connector is long arround 2-2,5'' and 1'' thick and heavy like small modern light!
Connector on the heads are male / on the cable female with 3 Oring . On the tank female connector : that why can be lighthead mounted direct in to the battery tank
The system is intended to be modular. That's the reason for these connectors. In my experience they are not heavy at all. They're just a short section of aluminum pipe, which should give the reader an idea of their weight.

- new lights special focusable with black ring on the head seems interesting and smaller ( not have in my hands )
Haven't seen these.

- led heads a little outdated ( old type leds and optics ) , but they give a great enclosure to DIY stronger upgrade.
The move away from HID seems to be happening across the board. The light quality and strenght are well within what I think most people's expectations would be for an LED light head.

-heads and tanks can be mutual interchengable due connectors ( but in real world who practice that ?? )
Is this an advantage or a disadvantage? I say advantage because you can upgrade one part of your system (like the head or the battery) without replacing the whole light.

-never understood connection : story GreenForce / TillyTec (Scubapro)
I didn't know there was one.

-price to heavy
I don't have much to compare with except other lights of similar quality. The prices are high but they don't seem to be out of line with competitor's products. At least not where I live.

R..

I've seen them in person and the seem like a great quality product. One of the down side that I saw is the Configuration for the majority of Tec divers

Goodman Handle - Most Tec divers prefer a Goodman Handle for better control when signaling and more solid (less movement then elastic strap) while on the hand.

Mounting - Most Tec divers prefer to mount the light on their RH hip through the 2" webbing. If you needed to, you could take it off underwater. Most Tec divers don't mount Can lights to their tanks, I would say that is a more "Old School" configuration method. At the time I saw it, they didn't offer this item. I'm sure that you could rig something up but most divers like the complete package.

The other concern that I think divers in the U.S. had was that they are based out of Belgium. Public perception is that it is better to deal with a US based company especially when it comes to Warranty/Service. Manta use to be the distributor but had a falling out, I forget who the new one is.

I own and use a Greenforce Tristar lighthead with umbilical and FII battery. I like how robust it is, it feels like it could take a beating and still keep working, and the modularity is great for upgrading/downgrading based on dive conditions. I'm not really a fan of the price (upgrading to an HID 100 Impact lighthead would cost the same as my current set up), or the fact that there aren't many Greenforce dealers in the US with a good selection of products from them.

Because I dive with a Zeagle Ranger LTD BCD I can put the battery canister in my righthand accessory pocket and it fits fairly well. When I start diving BP/W I don't think I would have a problem mounting it to the waist strap. As stated previously, the Goodman handles from Greenforce don't seem all that comfortable, and even without the handle, there is no easy way to mount a swivle snap to clip the lighthead off when not in use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom