Neutral Buoyancy and Breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many thanks all for your detailed and thoughtful replies.

Diving Dubai, you advise to hold breath for 3 second or so between inhalation/exhalation. I am sure you are well aware of the no breath hold rule - how do you reconcile both?

As to weights, the problem is if I take 1 kg/2.2 lbs less (I am 76 kgs/167 lbs diving on 10 kgs /22 lbs with a 12L/100 tank and a 3.5 mm wetsuit), I will dive initially, but on the safety stop I will struggle and even float up as the tank weight is reduced by the little air left. Mind you, on the neutral buoyancy exercise at surface, I should be able to dive on 9 kgs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diving Dubai, you advise to hold breath for 3 second or so between inhalation/exhalation. I am sure you are well aware of the no breath hold rule - how do you reconcile both?

That's a rule that's been dumbed down for the common people. There is no danger in holding your breath. The danger is ascending with a closed airway and expanding gasses.

The no hold, rule, is not to hold your breath and shut your airway during ascent. What I was suggesting and sorry if I wasn't' clear is that you pause. Your airway is still open. Try it on land sitting at your desk and it will be more apparent. Again apologies if I was unclear.

As to weights, the problem is if I take 1 kg less (I am 76 kgs diving on 10 kgs with a 12L tank and a 3.5 mm wetsuit), I will dive initially, but on the safety stop I will struggle and even float up as the tank weight is reduced by the little air left. Mind you, on the neutral buoyancy exercise at surface, I should be able to dive on 9 kgs.

Regarding weight. If I tell you that I'm 95kg, and with a 3mm wetsuit and 12l steel I dive zero weight.

Okay this isn't a competition, I'm giving you something to think about. In theory using the same equipment I should use more weight, except I don't.

As you improve in your diving you're body relaxes more, and in particular the problems with lung volume and buoyancy reduce, which means you carry less weight.

If you "worry" about being under weight on a Safety stop then you will be (the fight of flight reflex) it's just the same with air consumption If I dive an AL 80 I worry about having a short dive and my air consumption increases. If I dive a 12L or a 15L I don't worry. But if I calculate the amount of gas I've used out of a 12 or 15l it would be less than a full AL 80. My point being is that the mind can play tricks on us.

I would recommend on each Safety stop, assess how you feel. do you have air in your BCD or not? If you do and there seems a lot to vent, then on the next dive take out 0.5kg (give it to your buddy to carry) and see how you feel at the next SS.

Everyone is different and we will all need more or less weight than someone else. My experience tells me that you can still reduce the weight you're carrying, may be by 50% but it will be over time. It depends on how frequently you dive. But please try on your next SS and see how you feel.

Back
Top Bottom