"neutral" AL80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronR103

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone had any experience with the neutral AL80s as opposed to the standard ones? Pros, cons etc? Thanks.

A

They weight out better over the life of the dive. Not so positive and floaty at the end.

I'm interested in what everyone calls them, you're talking the 3300 PSI AL tank that looks feels just like an 80 right? I've heard them called neutral 80s but think another guy and I agreed its the same as an AL90. *shrug*

I buddy of mine has two. He is constantly reminding the fill station people that it is 3300psi working pressure, not 3000.

Luxfer calls the tanks the S80N or NB80. http://www.luxfercylinders.com/products/scuba/specifications/us.pdf

I think the biggest knock against the tank is that they essentially added 4lbs to it to offset the positive buoyancy.

The tanks are heavier due to the fact that they have thicker walls to allow for the increase in pressure. these tanks are the standard here on Guam. I like then because they do not get floaty which is a pain in the butt while shooting.

there are also other smaller 3300 psi "neutral" tanks such as the 53 and 60 made by Catalina.

They are called neutral tanks because they are nearly neutral when empty

CD_in_Chitown:
They weight out better over the life of the dive. Not so positive and floaty at the end.

I'm interested in what everyone calls them, you're talking the 3300 PSI AL tank that looks feels just like an 80 right? I've heard them called neutral 80s but think another guy and I agreed its the same as an AL90. *shrug*

Yeah, that's the one. The difference I can see is that the sherwood tank is about 1.5" shorter than the standard 80, which would obviously balance some of the advantage to having a higher tank pressure. Plus, the sherwood apparently adds weight mainly to the bottom of the tank, supposedly to keep you in the "beneficial" heads up attitude, and essentially wrecking your trim. http://diversdiscount.com/images/tanks/neutral80.html

The luxfer tank is only 0.3" shorter, but still lists the same cf as the standard tank at a higher psi. My guess is that while the external dimensions are the same the extra weight is in thicker walls, and thus a smaller internal volume. I'd be interested to know how the weight is spread. So long as the distribution is even and it holds roughly the same amount of gas as a standard 80, I wouldn't see much disadvantage to the Luxfer for a price difference of $30.

A

Only thing I have to say is I really like them... but it's a pain to suddenly get regular AL80's after diving nuetral 80's all day... really messes up your bouyancy...

AaronR103:
Yeah, that's the one. The difference I can see is that the sherwood tank is about 1.5" shorter than the standard 80, which would obviously balance some of the advantage to having a higher tank pressure. Plus, the sherwood apparently adds weight mainly to the bottom of the tank, supposedly to keep you in the "beneficial" heads up attitude, and essentially wrecking your trim. http://diversdiscount.com/images/tanks/neutral80.html

The Luxfers are heavier at the top.

I actually prefer Faber LP steel tanks since these distribute the weight evenly]

Aaron,
FYI, Sherwood doesn't manufacture scuba tanks. Not now or ever in their past. The specifications on the Divers Discount site are for tanks manufactured by Catalina.

AaronR103:

A

escalondiver:
Aaron,
FYI, Sherwood doesn't manufacture scuba tanks. Not now or ever in their past. The specifications on the Divers Discount site are for tanks manufactured by Catalina.

My bad, misread. Either way, the bottom-weighted design doesn't seem optimal, and I'm not sure a top-weighted design would be much better, particularly since I would be using these to put together a set of doubles. Guess I'd have to try them first.

A

I just put 2~4lb tank weight pouch to the bottom part of the normal Luxfer tank.. Yes, it makes a neutral tank.... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom