Neutral AL80's Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oxyhacker:
The extra 300 psi isn't an overfill....

Do you describe this with other terms? The stamped/rated pressure on a standard alum 80 is 3000psi, thus the extra 300 psi would be an overfill. I was referring to standard alum 80's and not other types which may be rated for higher pressure.

oxyhacker:
Also, the swing from full to empty is totally a function of the weight of the air in a tank, so your statement that "a regular alum 80 has a 6 lb swing" while true is a little misleading because it suggest that other 80's might not. Any 80, be it 3000 psi, 3300 psi, alu, steel or composite, will have the same swing.....

You are definitely correct. My point was to identify the buoyancy shift from negative to positive with an alum tank compared to a steel tank which would require different lead loading.

--Matt

matt_unique:
Do you describe this with other terms? The stamped/rated pressure on a standard alum 80 is 3000psi, thus the extra 300 psi would be an overfill. I was referring to standard alum 80's...
Matt,

The Luxfer neutral 80s have slightly thicker walls and a heavier butt end on them (to make them neutral), hence less volume. They are stamped/rated to 3300 psi. If you were going to over-fill them warm and allow them to cool to 3300, you'd pump them to between 3400 and 3500 psi.

Doc

Doc Intrepid:
Matt,

The Luxfer neutral 80s have slightly thicker walls and a heavier butt end on them (to make them neutral), hence less volume. They are stamped/rated to 3300 psi. If you were going to over-fill them warm and allow them to cool to 3300, you'd pump them to between 3400 and 3500 psi.

Doc

That clarifies it....thanks.

Back
Top Bottom