Netflix's No Limit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I'm watching a movie called "No Limit" on Netflix.

It was loosely inspired by the events that led to the death of freediver Audrey Mestre and her relationship with freediving legend Pipin Fererras. I met Pipin and Audrey around 1998. Pipin had started the training agency IAFD, but he supported other agencies and programs, such as the freediving program I developed for PDIC at the time because it would help grow the sport and serve as a pipeline for him to get students to train beyond the basics.

After Audrey's death, two books came out about her fatal dive. One was written by Pipin (The Dive) and focused on their love story. The other was written by Pipin's business partner Carlos Serra (The Last Attempt) who accused Pipin of being negligent and responsible for Audrey's death. Even worse, Carlos accused Pipin of murder. Among his alleged victims was famed freediver Jacques Mayol who inspired the cult classic "The Big Blue."

Personally, I always liked Pipin, and he was definitely a hero in the sport. He's currently teaching through SNSI. My ex-girlfriend, on the other hand, was an IAFD instructor. She knew them fairly well and was closer to Audrey. She quit IAFD soon after the accident.

I'm one hour into the 2-hour film which is dubbed into English. Interesting and well done so far. It seems to be using source material from both Pipin's perspective and those of any detractors. It's definitely a bit overly dramatic like most film portrayals of diving, but "No Limits" is one of the best foreign films on Netflix. They did a great job with dubbing. You often can't tell unless you look for it. It has beautiful cinematography and the actress playing "Roxanna" isn't bad to look at either. Camille Rowe also was in the horror underwater film "The Deep House."

On Facebook, a friend just reminded me that he was a witness to some of the real-life events in the film. I never dove with them, just discussed the sport.

The whole thing was super sketchy and unsafe…seems like he was abusing her physically and emotionally and pushing her too far. Also the lack of safety divers and he wouldn’t allow anyone to look at the cylinder that allowed to to come to the surface?? Should have been charged with man slaughter or 2nd degree…. IMO.

The whole thing was super sketchy and unsafe…seems like he was abusing her physically and emotionally and pushing her too far. Also the lack of safety divers and he wouldn’t allow anyone to look at the cylinder that allowed to to come to the surface?? Should have been charged with man slaughter or 2nd degree…. IMO.
Are you talking about the movie (No Limits) or the true story on which it was based?

Her death did increase freediving safety immensely, even if it was not murder the lack of preparedness for any accident was insane.

Her death did increase freediving safety immensely, even if it was not murder the lack of preparedness for any accident was insane.
I knew nothing about freediving competition before the movie and then reading about the original, and I believe you are right. The lack of common sense safety measures was shocking. In the movie, the safety measures were supposedly there, and I frankly don't understand how there can be no standard safety measure for a failed lift bag in place and ready to go.

Camille Rowe also was in the horror underwater film "The Deep House."
The Deep House was about the worst underwater films I've ever seen. Aside from the ridiculous horror "plot" it also made no attempt to make the diving related aspects even remotely believable. For example, the two divers were wearing "Shearwater" dive computers, but everything displayed on there was superimposed CGI or whatever. These things were controlling / monitoring / receiving video from their (apparently AI enhanced as well) underwater drone, displayed their gas usage as a percent remaining (weird and unnecessary), and didn't display anything else a normal computer would. The FFM with single tank and extensive penetration of the overhead inside a spooky locked up house at the bottom of a lake was clearly a whole series of bad choices, but at least it was believable that someone would actually try that. The rest was just ridiculous.

Have not watched NoLimit yet, but now that you have alerted me to its existence and the quality you saw in it, I will do very soon.

Back
Top Bottom