"Nervous" travellers and Phillipines and Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manila(Philippines) can be dangerous if you flash your money even in broad day light. But would you do that in Canada or anywhere else?
Both Philippines, including Mindanao, and Indonesia are very safe for traveller. As already mentioned, use your common sense.

The only problem with these two countries, you want to come back for more diving in remote places!!!!!!

Have been to numerous places in both the Philippines (Manila, Anilao, Coron, Malapascua, Cabilao, Donsol) and Indonesia (Komodo, Nusa Lembogan, Raja Ampat, Bunaken, Bali, Lembeh).

Never felt unsafe. Just use your common sense (as you should in every other coutry or city) and you will be fine.

Typing from my phone as I sit in a hotel in Manila waiting for my flight out tomorrow. Dove in Anilao and Palawan and did some touring of Manila by myself. No issues, felt safe walking and talking a taxi. Everyone is friendly. All hotels and malls have visible security guards ad well.

Both Philippines, including Mindanao, and Indonesia are very safe for traveller. As already mentioned, use your common sense.

I recently visited Zamboanga with my girlfriend (she is local). I have seen a concerning amount of commando/military checkpoints (and I have been a few shady places already). And while the gf said everything was safe, when I asked to go certain places in the city eyes became wide open around the table. They are not totally in control of the situation over there.

Of all the phils, I would not reccommend Mindanao.

Everywhere else is totally safe and enjoyable.

I’ve been to Indonesia almost every year for over 10 years. Went diving in most dive sites there, Alor 2x, Ambon 2x, Bali 10x, Banda Sea 3 months ago, Bunaken 2x, Komodo 3x, Lembeh 2x, Raja Ampat 7x (8th time is next week :D), Sangalaki 1x (2nd time is next year), WaKaToBi 1x (too expensive), I have never got into any kind of trouble or seen any crime being committed or heard a gun shot.

We’ve visited SE Asia (mainly Thailand but also Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore & Indonesia (Bali & N Sulawesi)) annually since 2006 (diving since 2011) and have never witnessed any major issues or felt threatened.
The worst I’ve seen is a couple of punches thrown involving drunken tourists in Bangkok (handbags at dawn really). I did experience someone eyeing my camera bag in Vientiane, Laos but he just gave me a coy smile when he realised I’d clocked him and I felt no physical threat.
The thing that worries me most travelling in SE Asia is the risk on the roads. But whilst I’ve been very nervous with some drivers, and asked one driver to slow down, I’ve never actually been involved with or witnessed any accidents (touch wood) - try to pick your transport carefully though if you can.
As others have said, as long as you use your common sense and avoid certain areas I’m sure you’ll be fine. I’ve never been to Philippines but most people we’ve met in Indonesia (as well as other parts of SE Asia (except Kota Bharu in Malaysia perhaps)) have been very friendly and welcoming.

I recently visited Zamboanga with my girlfriend (she is local). I have seen a concerning amount of commando/military checkpoints (and I have been a few shady places already). And while the gf said everything was safe, when I asked to go certain places in the city eyes became wide open around the table. They are not totally in control of the situation over there.

Of all the phils, I would not reccommend Mindanao.

Everywhere else is totally safe and enjoyable.
Dived Davao, General Santos(x2) and Surigao without any issue.

Mindanao is a pretty big island.

Direct flight to Davao is available even from Hong Kong now.

Crime in Mindanao while diving in (say) Tubbataha or Anilao is the least of your worries.
Did you spend time in Belize City? That is much more worrisome....
Hey, there are places in the city I live in that I would not go.
But that doesn't keep me at home with the doors locked and the lights off.
Anilao is on Luzon, not Mindanao.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom