Nervous about being too cold!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey there, you are absolutely justified in your concerns. Please make sure to express your concerns to the DM or staff present. Take a thermos of hot water with you and pour it into the suit before the 2nd dive. During surface interval keep the wetsuit on, tuck hood and gloves inside the suit to keep them warm and wear a windbreaker over the suit. I do not like shorties with attached hoods because they don't fit the head properly. U lose 40% of body heat from your head. So add a warm hat to the list of gear to wear between dives. It's easier to stay warm than get warm so plan for that and you'll be alot happier.

These are excellent suggestions! A hood or cap is mandatory in cooler water, I find. loss of heat through a bare head is huge, so you need at least a cap.

Solid information in the above posts.

When I get cold, I find it difficult to enjoy/focus on my dive.

I have not bit the bullet on a drysuit as of yet. I dive the quarries down here from mid-March to early Nov.
Use Lavacore and an 8 mil Solafx wetuit with attached hood. heavy gloves. I can still get cold.

I saw an Instructor do the thermos thing last week. Seemed to help her and her students. Gonna try that tomorrow.

For regular dives in the Great lakes, a drysuit is the way to go.

The best investment I made for colder water is a 5/3 hooded vest. I Slip that baby on under my 5mm wetsuit with 5mm socks and gloves and I am comfy down to about 50...I add my 3mm shorty as another layer and I'm good down to 40.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom