Nervous about Aqua Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdbeckstrom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My husband and I will be heading to AC the first week in March and will be diving with Aqua Dives. I just spent a little time on tripadvisor reading some horrible reviews on Aqua Dives and I am now feeling extremely nervous that I have made a terrible mistake booking a package with them. :nervous:

Has anyone had a recent experience with this dive op - good or bad they could share? Am I worked up over nothing?

I dove with Aqua Dives 3 years ago and am one of the people that gave their inadequate and falling apart boats a not-so-good review on this board for the atoll trips, especially after one of them broke in half the week after we were on them.

However, this is a recent post from Peterbj7 from the thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/belize/252513-ambergris-caye-dive-operators.html :

peterbj7:
Two things to be understood. Reviews in places such as here or TripAdvisor tend to be more numerous for the busier operators. Look for quality, not quantity, unless you like being with a large crowd. And secondly, many/most operators work with local hotels on a commission basis, and there are several exclusivity arrangements that you won't be told about even if you ask. Take any recommendation by an hotel or anyone who could stand to gain with a large pinch of salt.

Two further points on commissions. The generally prevailing rate is 20% of the gross rack price, or sometimes the actual price charged if a significant discount has been given. But there is a tendency to offer more than this 20%, sometimes markedly more, to "steal" business from other operators. Remember that you, the customer, generally know nothing of this. Clearly if you go directly to the dive operator and don't involve the hotel in any way, there'll be no commission payable and the operator will be better placed to offer you a discount.

The final point is that not all dive operators do business on this basis. At least one highly regarded one pays no commission, so is never mentioned by hotels expecting it. And a few hotels don't demand commission, so their recommendations may be more objective.

My list, going north from VH:-
- Belize Diving Adventures (Everette and Enes, Belizean husband and wife team, highly experienced)
- Ramon's Village (a little pricier than some, and possibly the better for it)
- AquaDives (now the largest operator, some excellent divemasters, very good boats including the largest on the island for atoll trips, used to have a poor reputation that's no longer merited, the only operator in the whole of Belize capable of supporting serious technical divers)
- Bottom Time (long established and well regarded but with a very low profile)
- Ambergris Divers (well established, nice boats, some good staff)
- Island Divers (new boy on the block, operating out of Protech's previous premises, Rudi is a new instructor but a well established and popular divemaster)
- Amigos del Mar (traditionally the "gold plated" operator here, flagged a bit after their big boat spectacularly blew up and sank last year, but they've just replaced it with a very smart brand new big boat that's around the same size as AquaDives', on the way back up)
- Ecologic (been around for two or three years, some good staff)
- Chuck & Robbie (two person operation that's acquired a very high reputation, don't pay commission), and lastly
- Patojo's (only service their own hotel guests and people who go to the trouble of going to them, but very highly regarded by people who take that trouble).

I know I've missed one or two minor players, mainly because I can't remember their names and know very little about them. But as I said above, I'd willingly dive with any of these operators (if they gave me the dive free!).
bold added

Sort of off topic but not really...

My boyfriend and I are headed to AC the first week in March too. We're staying at the Blue Tang Inn and diving with Reef Adventures (formerly known as Hustler) though. My boyfriend did his diving with them the last time he was in Belize and raves about them.

Where are you staying at?

We're staying at Sunbreeze Suites 2/28-3/7. This is my first trip to Belize and my husband's second. He previously stayed on Caye Caulker. It's always so difficult to plan a good trip to a new location...I am hoping our choice in lodging and diving will turn out OK.

Do you and your boyfriend have any recommendations on really good places to eat?

This will be my first time to Belize as well so I don't know of any good places to eat. However, I know that there are a few places that my boyfriend has talked about so I'll pick his brain when I get home tonight and get back to you! I think that there was a place called the Jerk Pit that he's pretty fond of....

We are heading to Ambergris in April and staying near Banyan Bay.I know there is an operator at the resort but does anyone have any reviews ? Thanks

My husband and I will be heading to AC the first week in March and will be diving with Aqua Dives. I just spent a little time on tripadvisor reading some horrible reviews on Aqua Dives and I am now feeling extremely nervous that I have made a terrible mistake booking a package with them. :nervous:

Has anyone had a recent experience with this dive op - good or bad they could share? Am I worked up over nothing?
Hi,
We're also on AC, the first week in March. I chose Ecologic, based on many positive reviews here, but I think that it'd be rare for you to find a really BAD operation on AC. Do a search for postings by peterbj7. He's a frequent poster on SB, and will likely add to this thread. He's posted some very good, very recent, reviews on many of the dive ops on AC. He used to be in the biz, so has a unique perspective on the topic. Have a wonderful trip. If you go to Pedro's, I'll be the guy reaching for the bell.....
Peter

My wife and I leave for Ambergris tomorrow and we had originally planned to dive with Aqua Dives.
We arrive on island Friday and because the house we are renting will not be ready until Sat. we are spending our first night at Ramon's Village.
Depending on their schedule, I may try them, Ramon's, for the Lighthouse Reef/Blue Hole trip.
When we return I will post my impressions of whichever operations we encounter.

Ramon's have a good dive operation. They tend to be a bit pricier than most, but I think diving is too cheap here anyway.

In case there's any misunderstanding, I would happily dive with AquaDives and would recommend them to others. They used to have pretty ropey boats but they've all gone, and now they have the best fleet on the island. And they have some excellent divemasters. But I can't think of any dive operation here (Ambergris Caye) that I wouldn't be prepared to dive with, though naturally I have preferences.

We were in AC the first week of December, 08 and dove with Aqua Diver for thw whole week; 3 dives/day plus all day trip to the Blue Hole. I had no complaints. We dove 32% for most dives and there were dead on with the mix; allowed 2 non-divers on the BH trip (for a price) and allowed some freedom with the dive plan after seeing how we dive. My second time to book with them and plan to do so again in the future.

Back
Top Bottom