Nerves Before First OW Dive, and Silly Questions about Lake Medina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AnyaPetrova

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I leave for my first open water dive in a few hours...and I'm incredibly nervous! I don't know why...I love the water, the skills feel comfortable...but I'm totally freaked! EEP!!

I also can't figure out if I ought to show up in a wetsuit, or change there...is there even a place to change at Lake Medina? Should I bring dry clothes, or just robes / towels? Any advice would be awesome...Sorry to be such a spazz! lol!!

Try not to sweat it too much.
You're instructor is there to help you get through the check outs, not to fail you.
You'll do fine.

I don't know about Medina specifically, so I can't tell you about their facilities. I usually change on site, a wet suit is way to hot to wear for any period of time (while dry). Worse comes to worse, you can always cover up with a towel. My wife wears her bathing suit under her shorts and tshirt and just throws her wet suit on over the bathing suit.
I would bring a towel and a chance of dry clothes.

Have fun today.

I felt the same way on my first OW dive. It will be alright. You just have to work through it. I know that's not saying much but really; you just have to be a trooper and rough it out.

Change clothes on site. If there are no facilities available, improvise however you have to. Do not wear your wetsuit until you are ready to get in the water. Way too hot! Take towels and clothes.

I'm back from my OW, and totally feeling silly about earlier. It was GREAT! Everything is about 100% more fascinating under water. Thanks for the advice guys! It's really cool that you'll take the time to help a new diver :dork2:

Glad you had fun! Now it's just the beginning.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

You have no idea how much money and time you are about to waste!

And remember the words a wise fellow diver..... :lotsalove: ...... "This having fun thing is a lot of hard work."

I'm back from my OW, and totally feeling silly about earlier. It was GREAT! Everything is about 100% more fascinating under water. Thanks for the advice guys! It's really cool that you'll take the time to help a new diver :dork2:

Congrats on everything working out for you!
As far as changing clothes on site when their are no facilities available is concerned:
There are several changing robes sold online but I found them a little pricey. As a Do it Yourselfer, I purchased a cheap blanket, trimmed it a bit but no too much because you want to leave plenty of room inside to move, cut a head hole and arm slots, and sewed the sides together. Then I made a pocket with the scrap and sewed it to the inside. Works great for me.
Good luck,
Bob

Welcome to the deep end of the pool. Glad your first ow experience was a great one :)
Any updates?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom