Nerve Damage and Risk of DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cloudswinger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I significantly injured my knee last November and incurred nerve damage to where I had Drop foot. That's mostly recovered, but I still have a little patch of tingly skin on the top of my big toe. Are there any possible issues related to diving? Is it more likely to be reinjured there?

I have had neuropathy for the last 10 years. Yes I have that drop foot syndrome and must use AFO Braces and hand crutches to walk...My wetsuit and boots double for the AFO braces when I dive. I have no issues underwater. I dive conservatively to minimize any chance of DCS. That seems to be the only concern with these symptoms...You may not recognize a DCS hit

I significantly injured my knee last November and incurred nerve damage to where I had Drop foot. That's mostly recovered, but I still have a little patch of tingly skin on the top of my big toe. Are there any possible issues related to diving? Is it more likely to be reinjured there?

I had a severe attack of Sciatica about three years ago which left my left foot and parts of my left leg numb and tingling. I am back to where I run three miles twice a week, but the numbness and tingling are still there as a constant reminder. I dove the first time after the attack within about six months, and my biggest concern was whether I had the strength back in it enough to climb the ladder back into the boat. I have never noticed any difference in the symptoms at depth (been to at least 130 fsw since the attack), and my only concern of re-injury is being very careful about the position of my back, and how I lift and bend, especially with a Scuba unit on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom