NERD2 question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love mine on CCR. I can't imagine why you would want it for OC, especially if you didn't have a double hose regulator. It exists because rebreather divers need to continually monitor their PO2. There isn't any reason to be constantly watching your computer on OC.

But I guess if it's your only Shearwater, why not. I think that if I was in that situation, I would just bungee it to my wrist....

There's also helmet mount...

I did not know that. I'm still not seeing the benefit of having a nerd for an open circuit diver. For the cost of a nerd you can buy two shearwater Perdix or teric.

Granted I'm not the most experienced diver, we arent monitoring a loop, and I have never wished to gave my computer in my face .

I did not know that. I'm still not seeing the benefit of having a nerd for an open circuit diver. For the cost of a nerd you can buy two shearwater Perdix or teric.

Granted I'm not the most experienced diver, we arent monitoring a loop, and I have never wished to gave my computer in my face .

Brian Kakuk was dives an original NERD helmet mounted and has been for a long time. It lets his old eyes see the computer much better than on a wrist. It's ideal for working dives where you need your hands doing things as well. He's using gopro hinges on his, so he can loosen one and move the whole thing out of the way when he doesn't want to see it. The brick is on the back of his helmet. He's been using this since before he went to CCR though, so while this one is plugged in to his sidekick, if he's diving OC he still uses the NERD. It's a reasonable option for OC diving, especially sidemount.

38023537_2052964544738452_5470930668789694464_o.jpg

35198966_1974413589260215_4194836481455423488_o.jpg

I did not know that. I'm still not seeing the benefit of having a nerd for an open circuit diver. For the cost of a nerd, you can buy two shearwater Perdix or teric.

Granted, I'm not the most experienced diver, we arent monitoring a loop, and I have never wished to gave my computer in my face .

I wear a perdix AI as a backup. As to the benefits, I like it. It is as simple as that. It allows me to focus on the dive itself. As to the cost, I live in northwest Ohio. Everything that I do short of diving in cold, murky quarries is expensive. I make several trips to the Caribbean every year. The cost of the Nerd was... I hate to say negligible, but given what we spend each year on diving...

@broncobowsher You can't buy the controllers separate from the rebreathers

My XCCR came with one controller and I purchased a second controller that I normally just use as a monitor. But if I happened to be on a trip and had a controller failure I could just swap it over to the controller bus and be back in business. It is a bit more expensive than a monitor unit.

X-CCR Primary Handset - Subgravity

My XCCR came with one controller and I purchased a second controller that I normally just use as a monitor. But if I happened to be on a trip and had a controller failure I could just swap it over to the controller bus and be back in business. It is a bit more expensive than a monitor unit.

X-CCR Primary Handset - Subgravity

you can buy replacement controllers obviously, but the controllers are only available from the manufacturers for their specific rebreathers. I.e. DGX is not allowed to sell an O2ptima controller, only Dive Rite can do that.

Back
Top Bottom