NERD2 Monitor questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure about the NERD2 but the NERD1 DiveCan version for rEvo was only available through reVo dealers.

I run a Petral controller and a NERD monitor. There is no way the NERD can control anything. It physically won't connect. Mentally it doesn't have the software (which is in the firmware, which is different then the user updatable software).

Now brand specific versions, I have no idea how interchangeable that stuff is. I have only played with the revo versions.

when you update the shearwater computers, you are actually updating the firmware. IIRC the difference in DiveCAN vs. Analog is actually a piece of hardware inside of the unit itself. One of them reads digital signals, the other has an A2D conversion board to read the mV from each cell. I believe the firmware versions are identical, but if you don't have the hardware it obviously can't use that piece of code.

The Revo monitor will work on any rebreather, but you can only buy it through a Revo dealer *found that out the hard way*.

I have a bunch of this stuff. 5-pin is divecan. 4-pin is only monitor (3 cells + common ground)
The two are NOT interchangeable.
If you want a controller, you get the divecan with 5-pins. It will talk with the solenoid/cell board in the rebreather.
If you want a monitor, get the 4-pin. Doesn't have anything to do with divecan. It shouldn't. If the divecan takes a giant dump on you the monitor will still work. Not a single wire is connected between the two.

I run a Petral controller and a NERD monitor. There is no way the NERD can control anything. It physically won't connect. Mentally it doesn't have the software (which is in the firmware, which is different then the user updatable software).

It wasn't clear to me at first either. I was hoping the NERD could be used as a backup controller if need be. It can't. I have spent over an hour on the phone over various different calls, and even talked with the same in person at DEMA to really understand this.

Now brand specific versions, I have no idea how interchangeable that stuff is. I have only played with the revo versions.
What happens if you have 2 controllers and plug one off them to the OBOE?

What happens if you have 2 controllers and plug one off them to the OBOE?
It should work I guess. The bigger question to me is what are you going to do with the other controller? It won't have cells to read. It would just be an expensive stand alone computer.

It should work I guess. The bigger question to me is what are you going to do with the other controller? It won't have cells to read. It would just be an expensive stand alone computer.
Yes, I am considering doing that to have a backup controller when in remote locations

If a controller "works" when plugged into the OBOE then isn't that saying that it reads the O2 sensors? Else, what does "it works" even mean? You can have it unplugged from anything and use it as a standalone.

If a controller "works" when plugged into the OBOE then isn't that saying that it reads the O2 sensors? Else, what does "it works" even mean? You can have it unplugged from anything and use it as a standalone.
For me "works" mean that it reads the sensors so that it has full profile info in case of controller failure

For me "works" mean that it reads the sensors so that it has full profile info in case of controller failure

That's what I was thinking, too.

"it works" COULD be construed to mean that it will control the solenoid. But, I think we all understand that if it's plugged into an OBOE it cannot control the solenoid. So, given that, "it works" seems like it could only mean that it does read and display O2 sensor values.

That's what I was thinking, too.

"it works" COULD be construed to mean that it will control the solenoid. But, I think we all understand that if it's plugged into an OBOE it cannot control the solenoid. So, given that, "it works" seems like it could only mean that it does read and display O2 sensor values.
Yes. It would be a great substitute for the HUD. In addition, in case the controller fails in a remote location, you can move the second controller to the SOLO circuit and keep diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom