Neptune Space & OOA Part II Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSltr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My son recently completed training on his mask from the dealer. He has a quick disconnect hose fitted to his mask. The instructor recommended that I have my octo hose replaced with a quick disconnect hose, so that in the event of an low/OOA event I would only have to disconnect my hose from 2nd stage and pass that to him after he removes the hose from his mask. Is this an acceptable procedure?

Hi,

In the event that your buddy has an out of air situation there are a few options.

1. You can use a traditional setup (Octo), but a backup mask is a good thing to carry in a pocket. One downside to this method is that your buddy must remove his full face mask. If your buddy is uncomfortable or panicing this presents its own risks. Even though this method is more common because it is basically the same gear configuration and steps as is you were wearing a traditional mask and reg.

2. Exactly what you described. Have an extra low pressure QC hose attached to your 1st stage that is free to pass if your buddy needs it. You may also have a normal octo attatched with a QC fitting to this back up hose so it can be passed to another diver if they need a traditional 2nd stage. But also can be removed to quickly attach the hose to your buddies 2nd stage.

With either of these methods, you need to practice each step before undertaking any strenuous dive.

Back
Top Bottom