Neptune FFM Upgrade!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
For all you Neptune FFM owners - OR just had me send in my Neptune II w/ NIRA for an "equalization upgrade" along with an upgraded NIRA spring that will address the hard draw. The nose upgrade inlvoles a single shaft to hold some longer plugs. Anyone familiar with this upgrade??

bmuise once bubbled...
For all you Neptune FFM owners - OR just had me send in my Neptune II w/ NIRA for an "equalization upgrade" along with an upgraded NIRA spring that will address the hard draw. The nose upgrade inlvoles a single shaft to hold some longer plugs. Anyone familiar with this upgrade??

Keep us updated on the upgrade.
I am interested to see if the longer plugs, "pinch" the nostrils, or just set higher in the mask, to "plug" the nostrils

Happy diving...

Trash it and buy an AGA... Best upgrade you'll ever make... One of the problems with what Ocean Reef is doing, they keep putting bandaid after bandaid on the mask. The whole system is a bad design.

Not a good idea to simply thrash others equipment. AGA is an EXPENSIVE mask and developed for military/professional divers who routinely dive to great depths. I consider the Neptune a fine full face mask for recreational open water divers just entering the full face arena who dive an average of five to seven times a year. Consider forking out another $200 or another $350 for a Poseiden on top of what you'd pay for the Neptune. And oh by the way, given what the US military has done recently I'd never wear anything they endorse...

1) What do you consider expensive? $499 retail for a Divator (AGA) plus $50 for a hose or swivel. $549 retail for an Ocean Reef. You do the math.
2) We're talking life support, not Tonka Toys, what's your life worth?
3) An Italian military gas (filter) mask with a regulator stuck in it= Diving mask?:confused:
4) What exactly has the US Military done that makes them not qualified to endorse equipment? Actually it's not endorsement, it's approval as in ANU, Approved for Navy Use. Established test parameters to determine the safety and effectiveness of a piece of equipment. Tell me the testing that the Ocean Reef has gone through. You can put all the lipstick on that pig you want, it's still not a quality piece of gear.

Now, have you ever dived the two and given a fair comparison? What's the standard you would use for a "fine" piece of gear? Performance? Quality of manufacture? Fit and function?

And having served in the military of this FINE COUNTRY, I'm biting my tounge not to release a flurry of flame, but I'll strike it up to either ignorance, immaturity or inexperience. On second thought, maybe some shouldn't dive anything the US Military has approved, some people should stay on the porch with the puppies.

I wanted to chime in here...

The US Navy and NOAA have done more for diving then any other group out there.
While the US Navy was very propritary in their equipment years ago, they opened their minds to the developments from the commercial diving industry. The sharing of technology and theory has only served to make diving better and safer for everyone.

On the point that the Poseidon or AGA are used by the military or commercial divers for deep diving,,,both are considered light diving equipment like the old Jack Brown mask was and are not used for deep diving. For deep diving, the standard has been and is the DSI Superlite (17 or 27) helmet. When lighter gear is needed or preferred, the DSI 18 Band Mask is generally the chosen tool. The AGA and now the Poseidon (given their similar lineage) are predominatly used by Police and similar organizations for what would be considered blackwater and cold water diving for the enhanced protection over conventional Scuba. (Honestly, when I dived in muck, I preferred an AH3 airhat locked into a Viking drysuit).

Bottomline, when it comes to full face masks or helmets, the US Navy and the commercial diving industry wrote the book. To ignore their influence and contributions as a protest is unsafe.

As far as the Neptune, if it floats your boat, go for it, but recognize it's limitations. The AGA is beyond proven and the Poseidon (even though it is new) is a refinement of the AGA with a better proven 2nd stage and improved design features.

Back
Top Bottom