Neoprene vs. Shell suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ron63

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I need the help of some of you seasoned dry suit divers. I dove a dry suit at a DUI Demo Days event back in April, and have been thinking about getting one since then to extend my diving season. I dove a shell suit with undergarments, but was wondering if there was a big difference between it and diving a neoprene dry suit. Any insight you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Ron

I dive a DUI CNSE and absolutely love it. It is very tear resistant and has good stretch. It also is alot warmer than my trilam (taking into consideration I have to wear less undergarments with it than the trilam). I feel that a neoprene suit is inherently stronger that a shell suit and if your diving will take you into an enviroment that may present snags or tears...go for the neoprene.

Side note/ the trilam is a Mobby's and it also is a great suit...I usually dive it on the dives where no obvious snags are present (i.e. no wreck dives)

The more I dive my tls350, the more I think I should have gotten the crushed neoprene suit instead. The only advantages I see to a trilam are it weighs less, dries faster, and can be used in warmer waters like cave diving without over heating as easily. Those are great advantages but the trilam also comes with some negatives like requiring more undies, being less tear resistant (although the trilam is surprisingly strong), and that's all I can think of now. I say if you dive locally and don't travel much, and dive in very cold water all the time then consider the crushed neoprene. It's a little bit of both worlds. I wouldn't go with a neoprene suit that wasn't crushed but that's just MHO.

The CLX450 with the cordura is supposed to be quite tear resistant vs. a TLS.

Crushed neoprene suit is better in my opp.. Warmer and more durrable.

SparticleBrane:
The CLX450 with the cordura is supposed to be quite tear resistant vs. a TLS.

Forget about that one too. I like that one! If you do get a tls type, make sure to add the knee pads.

ron63:
I need the help of some of you seasoned dry suit divers. I dove a dry suit at a DUI Demo Days event back in April, and have been thinking about getting one since then to extend my diving season. I dove a shell suit with undergarments, but was wondering if there was a big difference between it and diving a neoprene dry suit. Any insight you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Ron

I guess we first have to establish whether you are talking about "regular" neoprene or "crushed/compressed" neoprene. Not only is the "regular" stuff VERY buoyant, but mobility is severely limited. The other type is more flexible, but is expensive. It also tends to dry slower than a trilam.

IMHO trilam gives you a wider range of temperature options: it all depends on how much or how little you layer on under the suit. You don't have that ability with neoprene because of the inherent heaviness of the material. Also, you can move about more freely in trilam.

BTW, I've dove both & I prefer the DUI 350TLS with knee pads & rock boots. :thumb:

As far as my recent "research" has shown, DUI states that the CF series (crushed neo) is more ABRASION resistant. TLS has not yet been shown to be more susceptible to tears, although it is perceived to be. Either way, more chances of a nail 'sliding by' on the trilam than on the neo...

If anyone has hard data to prove this (or disprove!!!), let me know, I'm really interested in the same question... I'm about to spring big bucks...

SubMariner:
. Not only is the "regular" stuff VERY buoyant, but mobility is severely limited. :

I'd say no more than a wetsuit which we all learn to adjust to and dive with. I've own(ed) 3 different brands of regular neoprene suits,and own(ed) 3 different trilaminate suits,and I have found my neoprene suits have had very good mobility,sometimes far better than the trilaminate-depends on the cut. The upside to a flooded neoprene suit is that it becomes a wet suit,can't say the same to trilaminate.

karstdvr:
I'd say no more than a wetsuit which we all learn to adjust to and dive with. I've own(ed) 3 different brands of regular neoprene suits,and own(ed) 3 different trilaminate suits,and I have found my neoprene suits have had very good mobility,sometimes far better than the trilaminate-depends on the cut. The upside to a flooded neoprene suit is that it becomes a wet suit,can't say the same to trilaminate.

Guess it becomes an overpriced ZipLock baggie... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom