Neoprene + socks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's really hard to get my wool socks into my drysuit boots.. there's a lot of friction with the drysuit material (compressed neoprene), so my toes end up getting squshed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

It sounds like you need to change to a less bulky sock. You can get good thermal protection from materials other than wool. For example, have you looked in places that sell ski equipment?

There are lots of good option there: I got some great long sleeved shirts to wear under my diving sweatshirt that are very warm, wick off any sweat/moisture, yet are not super-thick.

~SubMariner~

SubMariner once bubbled...
It sounds like you need to change to a less bulky sock. You can get good thermal protection from materials other than wool. For example, have you looked in places that sell ski equipment?

There are lots of good option there: I got some great long sleeved shirts to wear under my diving sweatshirt that are very warm, wick off any sweat/moisture, yet are not super-thick.

~SubMariner~

No, as a matter of fact, if I don't wear the bulky sock the boot will be slightly too big. I also wear this same sock in my neoprene booties... it takes up space and is much more comfortable than neoprene.

I bought these wool socks in a ski shop.. go figure :wink:

Anwyay, the sock certainly is *not* too big for the boot. There just seems to be a huge amount of friction between the wool material and whatever the inside of the boot is made of, so when I shove my foot in, I have to push the sock with my toes a great deal. The same thing happens with regular cotton socks.

Thanks for the tip, but I'll have to find something else..

If Friction is the question, then your answer might be Lycra Socks. I use these socks when I dive in wetsuit booties (warm water), and they work great for slipping the booties on and off. They actually keep my feet pretty warm also, but if your thick socks are a snug fit in the drysuit, then some thinner socks used on the inside of these Lycra socks might work really well.

Quite a few Dive Shops carry these and you may be able to find them online. Here's a link that I found doing a quick search:Lycra Socks

Good Luck,

GearHead

I don't know how comfortable it would be but you could try plastic bags over the socks. I have seen people do this to help get wetsuits on but then they usually take them off.

Good luck.

Chad

ckharlan66 once bubbled...
I don't know how comfortable it would be but you could try plastic bags over the socks. I have seen people do this to help get wetsuits on but then they usually take them off.

Good luck.

Chad

Hey, that's not a bad idea at all. I'll try that, thanks :)

GearHead once bubbled...
If Friction is the question, then your answer might be Lycra Socks. I use these socks when I dive in wetsuit booties (warm water), and they work great for slipping the booties on and off. They actually keep my feet pretty warm also, but if your thick socks are a snug fit in the drysuit, then some thinner socks used on the inside of these Lycra socks might work really well.

Quite a few Dive Shops carry these and you may be able to find them online. Here's a link that I found doing a quick search:Lycra Socks

Good Luck,

GearHead

Very cool, thanks for the tips :)

I bought some fleece-lined neoprene hunting/fishing socks from LL Bean that I use early and late in the season here in New England.

They cost about the same as a high quality pair of wool socks ($19) and keep your feet toasty warm. They are actually probably lower "profile" than thick wool socks, and may make it easier to get your booties on over them.

You can likely find these at any well-stocked hunting/fishing store or on-line retailer like Cabela's. etc.

I was going to mention the old plastic baggie trick...but someone beat me to it!
Tom

Well I tried the plastic baggie idea. Worked perfectly, and there's no rumpling noise as I walk. I stuffed a small handful of them in the pocket of my drysuit bag.

Thanks again :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom