Neoprene Socks under wetsuit boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Used to get my neoprene socks from LeisurePro, but don't see the same item listed anymore. They had tread on the bottom, which is good for the boat decks. Have yet to wear out a pair. Help fill in the boots a bit, though what I like best is the non-slip bottoms. Always dive with the boots & socks together.

Interesting response. I also once had a pair of the socks with the tread on them. However, as I always put my boots on after putting the socks on I found the tread to be an inconvience. My suiting up routine as to put on the socks, then the wetsuit and last the boots. Having the socks on first kept the sock tops inside the neoprene of the wetsuit. Putting my boots on last over the wetsuit result in a layering of the wetsuit between the boot and socks. I've found this to be warmer. Because I have this suiting routine, I found that the socks with tread on the boot made getting the suit on more difficult (tread caught the inside of the suit and made putting on the boots harder). Then again, I wouldn't walk around the boat in just the socks. If you do that I see how that might make having the tread more appealing.

diveprof why not put socks on after donning suit by rolling up suit and tuck socks underneath.

I plan on using lavacore socks since they are thin and still have good thermal value.

The tread is very thin, and I don't have the suit grabbing problem. In fact, the socks made it easier to get the suit on and off.

diveprof why not put socks on after donning suit by rolling up suit and tuck socks underneath.

It has to do with the style of the suit (has a smooth 2 sided inner neoprene chimney that loves to grab the tread). Could do it the way you describe but is more of a bother. The tread is not a big issue, just a minor inconvenience. It is just that the non tread boots just slide right in and since I do not walk around the boat without boots anyway, it is an unnecessary addition. Anyway, non-tread boots are cheaper as well :).

I plan on using lavacore socks since they are thin and still have good thermal value.

+1

I recently had a drysuit fail at ginnie springs. Had to dive wet and was concerned because my feet always get cold. Lava core socks under my 5 mil booties were awesome and also tightened up the fit of the booties a bit.

Good to know!

I would be interested in hearing reports form others re Lavacore. Reading the material on Lavacore it sounds very similar to the polartec of the 1990's (which really didn't live up to it's name or scientific tests when compared to neoprene).

When my drysuit failed I only had a 5 mil wetsuit and 5 mil booties plus hood. On an hour dive with 10 minutes of deco I got shivering cold. I purchased the lavacore socks, pants, and sleeveless vest from the ginnie store. I was as warm as I was in a drysuit on subsequent dives. Also seems to help with the initial wetsuit water entrance temperature shock a bit IMHO.

On a previous dive trip I tried a lava core hood under my normal hood because I was getting a little cold. I made it from the entrance to peacock springs to the end of the peanut tunnel before I was so hot I had to take it off. Try taking your hood(s) off in a cave some time - not fun! But the hood was warm!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom