Neoprene sleeves for flex arms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wrapped mine in some old 7mm neoprene wetsuit fabric to get some buoyancy out of it. I am also going to try putting a tub inside the arms and filling with some expandable foam as well. You could also use some STIX floats on them as well.

Thanks all, I will look into these. I'm looking for some buoyancy as well as some added support (for heavier strobe/light combos) without sacrificing too much flexibility.
If your main goal is better support for heavier weights, then you should think about ball arm systems.

It seems that most video people start with flex arms and most photos use ball arms. I have used both (for both) and feel ball arms are better. They provide better stability and can provide better coverage - if you have enough joints.

Flex arm systems have a minimum bend radius. A dual joint ball arm system can easily beat a flex arm.

The lightest (buoyancy) arm system I am aware of are the resin based Sea & Sea arms. But they use a larger than standard ball, 27mm instead of the most common 1 inch ball (approx 25.4mm).

I've used flex arms for 15 years - they are much quicker to reposition and I have never felt any limitation to lighting angle using them. I also have ball arms and while I don't have nearly as much experience with them, I prefer the flex arms.

WW Grainger sells it but you have to buy 500' or so. For $100+.

I suppose you could call and see if they've got a started roll they sell by the foot in store.

My standard suggestion has always been to get some thick wall plastic tubing at Home Depot and run it inside your arms.

You may want to buy Loc-LIne pliers b4 attempting this - that stuff is tough to pull apart.

Plan B: can be purchased at WalMart for $63.97 - Swimways 12328 Super Swim Noodles, 15pk - Walmart.com

Capture.JPG

Pool toys stores sell them individually also for a lot less.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom