Neoprene neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snwelf

Reaction score
I have just bought a used Harvey's neoprene dry suit. It has neoprene neck and wrist seals. After I tried it on and removed it, I noticed on the seam running down the front of the neck seal it was tearing. The total damaged length of the area is about 1in. Can this be repaired without having to replace the entire neck seal? The rest of the seals look in good condition and the area around the seams look good. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes it can be repaired.

Assuming the seal is not too tight,
simply cut the old seam out.
Apply 4 coats of wet suit cement, allowing it to dry between coats.
On the last coat allow the glue to get tacky, and press the surfaces together, allow it to dry over night.
Loop stitch the nylon to keep it tight, do not penetrate the thickness of the neoprene.
Add a bead of aqua seal along the stitched seam to seal and secure it.
Allow to dry over night.

Done.

Mike D

Apply 4 coats of wet suit cement,
Ummm... I'd recommend just following the directions on the can, which will probably call for only 2 coats, which will be plenty. Using too much glue will round the edges of the material over, making for a thinner joint. (think of 2 billiard balls touching, as opposed to 2 bricks touching) You want the material to remain as square as possible to allow for maximum surface contact.
Using a fresh can of cement is a big help, older cement will have lost a lot of its solvent & the ratio of solids will be too high, making for a sloppy joint.
The biggest mistake made by beginning "glue-meisters" is to rush the job; the coats need to be dry, just to the point of being tack free to the touch.

I've always used 4 coats for a neoprene dry suit seam, including neck and wrist seals, and just 2 coats for a wet suit seam.
You want all the foam pours coated, or the seam can leak.
Been repairing suits for 20 years, never had a come-back yet.

regards

Mike D

snwelf:
I have just bought a used Harvey's neoprene dry suit. It has neoprene neck and wrist seals. After I tried it on and removed it, I noticed on the seam running down the front of the neck seal it was tearing. The total damaged length of the area is about 1in. Can this be repaired without having to replace the entire neck seal? The rest of the seals look in good condition and the area around the seams look good. Any help would be appreciated.

With a neoprene seal you are going to be flipping it over once to make the seal that is how i do my neck seal on my bare works great.Hope this helps bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom