Neoprene neck seal on Fusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I know it's not available from White's. But when my neck seal wears out, I'd like to replace it with a neoprene one. Is there any issue from the adhesive standpoint about doing this?

I can't answer your question, I just had to reply. The title of your post made me pause for a second. I have a fusion on order that should be here any day. I was sure latex seals were used untill I saw this post. "Neoprene neck seals on fusion" I have a pretty serious alergic reaction to neoprene, or rather the chemicals used in the processing of. When I saw you were asking about the replacement of the seals with neoprene, I let out a heavy sigh!

I have to basically wear a wetsuit out before I can use one. My new 3mm Henderson thermoprene suit has been through the washer with Dawn dishwashing detergent about 20 times allready and then in the sun to dry. I hope when I use it at the end of this month that I dont break out with a nasty, itchy rash and swollen skin as usual with a new suit. It takes weeks to clear up.

Later, Hawk.

Well, I had hoped somebody would weigh in here, but I guess I'll just PM one of the White's folks. I thought having it in a thread would be useful, because I know for sure I'm not the only person asking this question.

Well, I had hoped somebody would weigh in here, but I guess I'll just PM one of the White's folks. I thought having it in a thread would be useful, because I know for sure I'm not the only person asking this question.

Is there any difference between how Whites attaches a latex neck/wrist seal to the fusion verses how it's done on a trilam? I assume it's glued to the outer layer and taped, just like any other suit.

I recently replaced the latex neck seal in my Whites Catalyst 360. I used PB-300 from these folks. It worked very well but I believe the Fusion suit needs a heat activated adhesive tape. Any Whites dealer can get you some.

Hi There,

Yes, a neoprene neck seal can be put on the Fusion. If a neoprene neck seal is requested at the time of order then the suit becomes an MTO and there is an additional charge. This is becasue we attach latex seals to all our Fusions as standard, and we would have to remove it, attach a neoprene seal, and re-test the suit. If you alerady own a Fusion, you can send the suit back in to the factory through your nearest Whites dealer, and we can attach a neoprene seal for you.

We don't encourage people to attempt attaching a neoprene seal on thier own because it is more difficult than attaching our latex seals. The process of attaching a neoprene seal includes stitching the seal in the suit, then welding tape on top of the stiching using heat. However, when we apply the heat we also apply pressure as the seal is welded through a special machine which makes it very difficult to do on your own.

Another reason to send the suit in is to preserve your warranty. If Aquaseal is applied to any of our suits you will void your warranty.

I hope that this information helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Justin Balaski
Regional Sales Manager
Whites Manufacturing Ltd.

Interesting, so seal replacement on a Fusion is not a chore for mere mortals? Is the same true for replacing with a latex seal?

Justin,

Thank you for your response. You will be having a Fusion sent back to you soon for some warranty work and I have a pretty good guess that the owner will be requesting some non-warranty work in addition!

Hmmm, I might have to send my Fusion back too -- I really, REALLY like neoprene neck seals!

Hi all,
I am still fairly new to diving I know this may sound like a stupid questions. But, I have to ask, sorry. What is the differences between the 2 seals and the pro's and con's of each? And which one is the best of the 2 or are they the same?
Thank you again for your help.. :popcorn:
Kurt

I'm going to assume that the zip seals which have latex are better for securing any water leakage but at a price. Some large heads will not fit through the opening so some divers opt to fit with the neoprene which will accomodate the large head.

I've been told that the neoprene seals are more prone to leakage than with latex.

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom