Neoprene Hood for Full Face Mask/Whats Available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hawksbill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for a neoprene hood that has a skin outside sealing surface around the face for a full face mask seal. The EXO hood by Kirby Morgan works but is $70 or so and the bib cut is not great with a drysuit neckseal. The Tech Hood by Bare is cheap but leaks where it is sown across the seal at the chin. Sealing the FFM on my skin with the hood outside of the mask is not what I want. Anybody know of other brands or sources for this kind of hood?

I am looking for a neoprene hood that has a skin outside sealing surface around the face for a full face mask seal. The EXO hood by Kirby Morgan works but is $70 or so and the bib cut is not great with a drysuit neckseal. The Tech Hood by Bare is cheap but leaks where it is sown across the seal at the chin. Sealing the FFM on my skin with the hood outside of the mask is not what I want. Anybody know of other brands or sources for this kind of hood?
Might contact Monterey bay wetsuits in monterey. they make custom hoods -- including a cold water special (3/4 in thick in places). I am sure cricket can accommodate any requests you have.

What do most of you do with your hood and a FFM? Do most of you get a new hood with the seal on the outside? Do you just stretch your normal hood around the outside of the FFM?

Thanks
Phil

A FFM isn't ever going to seal well on the outside of a wet hood. Forget it.

The poor option for FFMs is to cut the hood back a little and have the mask seal on your face under and slightly inside.

The best option is to get a dry hood and have the mask seal on the outside of the latex.

ps Don't ever order from wetwear, they may or may not deliver and definately not on time. They suck. Otter Bay on the other hand is highly recommended.

Thanks to all who have replied so far. I will be checking out your suggestions.

Here are some more details. I have successfully used a Kirby Morgan Exo hood with a FFM (mostly an AGA). The hood is designed for this purpose with neoprene skin inside and out for mask sealing. I have seen another make, maybe pinnacle or otter but not sure, that looked good. I also use this kind of neoprene hood under a latex hood on a vulcanized suit for public safety diving since I'm a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy and really dont rely on the fleece hood under the latex hood to remain dry throughout the day.

It is my choice to seal the mask on the outside of the hood for warmth and to a lesser extent to reduce possible hazmat exposure to fuel, etc. Also, I am blessed with a narrow face and the hood fills it out for a surrer seal. Yesthis is a personal problem. I'm just looking for any leads on manufacturers already producing such a hood for a good price.

Someday in the not too distant future we will all be heading to the Scuba Department at the local Wallmart.

Thanks,

If I'm diving wet I put the FFM seal on my face with the hood seal on top of the mask. If I'm diving dry I use a latex dry hood with the FFM seal on top of the latex hood.

This is a great hood from Tilos which makes some great neoprene and is only $25.
3mm neoprene hood - Tilos http://seavenger.com/3mm-neoprene-hood-p-1146.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The bare hood shouldnt leak, you should call bare and get it replaced

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom