Neoprene Dry Suit Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dstindivr

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
As the title states I will be in the market for a Neoprene Dry suit, possibly Tri-Lam, but I am allergic to latex so obviously latex seals are out.
Any suggestions? working on a limited budget , less than 1000.00.
I understand that neoprene compresses at depth. Thanks

O'Neil's 7000X is a good neoprene dry suit and sells in the $500 range. Atlan also makes a decent neoprene suit.

O'Neil's 7000X is a good neoprene dry suit and sells in the $500 range. Atlan also makes a decent neoprene suit.

Those were the 2 I was going to mention. I have the Atlan and it's been a good suit.

To the OP.....
Be clear on what you are asking about. A neoprene drysuit such as DA mentioned is a suit made of full body wetsuit material. They are very warm suits for shallow water diving however you may need to wear more weight. As you dive deeper the neoprene will crush resulting in less insulation and a loss of buoyancy that you need to compensate for. The nylon/neoprene/nylon is not what people are speaking if when you read about a tri-lam suit. You can get into these for well under $1000.

A tri-laminate suit is made with a sheet of butyl rubber with a fabric facing on each side. These suits offer virtually zero for thermal protection and do not stretch. They are cut large for freedom of movement and you wear what amounts to a high performance snow suit underneath. The properties of the suit remain constant and injected air lets you control the loft hence warmth of the under garment. These are the more expensive suits.

What sort of diving do you plan to do?

Pete

BARE makes a few suits that might be in your price range in neo..

Those were the 2 I was going to mention. I have the Atlan and it's been a good suit.

To the OP.....
Be clear on what you are asking about. A neoprene drysuit such as DA mentioned is a suit made of full body wetsuit material. They are very warm suits for shallow water diving however you may need to wear more weight. As you dive deeper the neoprene will crush resulting in less insulation and a loss of buoyancy that you need to compensate for. The nylon/neoprene/nylon is not what people are speaking if when you read about a tri-lam suit. You can get into these for well under $1000.

A tri-laminate suit is made with a sheet of butyl rubber with a fabric facing on each side. These suits offer virtually zero for thermal protection and do not stretch. They are cut large for freedom of movement and you wear what amounts to a high performance snow suit underneath. The properties of the suit remain constant and injected air lets you control the loft hence warmth of the under garment. These are the more expensive suits.

What sort of diving do you plan to do?

Pete
Local lakes, quarries in Northern Il.
Thanks for you post. I am aware of what a Tri-Lam suit is, I am an Instructor, spent all my teaching days down in Destin, Fl. Moved back up to Il, and have been bitten by the bug once again(the teaching bug that is). But since I've been out of the industry for about 3 years I just wanted some input. I used to use a BARE Tri-Lam when I had to hit up the springs, but that was before I developed my Latex allergy.
Again thanks for your post.
Corey

As th title states I will be in the market for a Neoprene Dry suit, possibly Tri-Lam, but I am allergic to latex so obviously latex seals are out.
Any suggestions? working on a limited budget , less than 1000.00.
I have a Bare 7MM with neoprene seals and hard boots. (I like those boots!) It's great once it's on but the neck seal is a PITA to roll under and the back zipper requires (for me) a second body to secure. Like other posters have said, the neoprene compresses at depth reducing insulation but I've been down to ~150'/40-45 degrees with it (with undergarments) and been OK. I was lucky in that this off-the-rack suit fit me like it was custom tailored. I'd recommend it to a budget minded diver. I'm not familiar with any other suit type.

Back
Top Bottom