Nekton Rorqual - Oct 24-31, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrivic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My husband and I are doing this trip. Anyone on this board going too? If so, let us know! This is our first liveaboard trip and we're looking forward to it!

Tammy

What is your itinerary? We haven't been on the Rorqual, but have spent 3 weeks on her sister ship, Pilot, and absolutely had the best time on all 3 trips.

We are flying into Puerto Rico on Oct 23, then hop aboard the Rorqual on the 24th and then we'll be enroute to St. Croix for a week. We'll be back to PR on the 31st, then we'll spend a couple of days diving in PR...not sure where yet..and then we fly back home on Nov 3rd. I'm glad to hear that you had the best time and I'm hoping we do also. I'm sure we will. We pretty much can have fun just about anywhere!

Hi Tammy,

My wife and I are going. We were on the Pilot last year on the Northwestern Bahamas. Had a great time.

We arrive on the 23rd as well, arriving in San Juan at 1:33pm. I am thinking of booking a one way car rental to Fajardo, taking the East Wind power cat that night to bio bay East Wind Catamaran sailing excursions Puerto rico

Then on Saturday drive out to the El Yunque National Rain Forest and maybe do some kayaking later in the day.

I have not found a place to stay in Fajardo yet. Any recommendations?

Mike.

Hi Mike,

We arrive SJU at 2:25 pm out of O'hare. Currently, we have a compact car rented through Enterprise at SJU for one day with a drop-off into Fajardo for $20.68. They are not charging the one-way drop-off rate b/c we will be picking up the same car for the remainder of our trip when we disembark the Nekton. The nice thing about Enterprise, I'm sure you know, is that they will drop you off at the marina to board the Nekton.

One little thing that has popped up is that I met another couple on this board who will be on the Rorqual who said they are staying in St. Croix and not coming back to PR. Our dive master from WI has moved to St. Croix and we'd love to stay and dive with him for a couple of days so, the husband and I are looking into disembarking Friday night into St. Croix and taking a plane back into SJU on Nov 3rd. We'll see though.

While I've been to PR many times, it's never been for diving and I never got outside of San Juan so I'm afraid I'm no help in the accommodations department. If we stay in Fajardo, we may stay at Fajardo Inn. That place seemed reasonable at $110. El Conquistador is out of our budget at $219. Passion Fruit B&B seemed to be inexpensive but their site doesn't work now and I can't remember what they were at when I priced them a while ago. I know we plan to eat at La Estacion. Never been there but sounds wonderful! (La Estacion)

Looking forward to meeting you and your wife!

Tammy

Hi Tammy,

Good to hear about Enterprise. I was trying Thrifty since they have a rental office at the marina, but charge a 60$ drop off fee. I called the central reservation number hoping they would waive it if I returned the the car to SJU after the trip, but no dice. Did you call the Enterprise central reservation number or the airport location to book your car?

Wow sounds like you have some interesting post trip options!

I had found the Passion Fruit B&B web site after I posted on this thread. The site was working and listed 95$ a night. I emailed them but have not heard back.

See you on the 24th!

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I had to call the Enterprise central reservation number who then got the Enterprise Fajardo (El Conquistador) location on the call for a 3-way. After explaining what my plans were they assured me that they would not charge a one-way drop off fee but did state that the rate of the rental from Fajardo back to SJU was a bit pricier than what the rate was into Fajardo.

Here is what my reservation looks like (obviously I'll cancel the return and have to pay the drop off fee if we stay in St. Croix.)

Oct 23-24 = 20.68
Oct 31-Nov 3 = 153.16

Hope this helps. BTW - I e-mailed Passion Fruit on August 1 and still haven't heard from them. I am pretty sure we will be staying at Fajardo Inn since I can't find anything else within budget. (I even e-mailed some folks to rent their condos on vrbo.com but haven't heard anything and I don't have any spam filters turned on so not sure what to think.)

Tammy

Thanks Tammy,

By the way, the Passion Fruit B&B website is back up. They have a 1800 number I will try tonight.

Mike.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom