Nekton Rorqual 7/25/09 - 8/1/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I won't hold my breath, I can't recall ever seeing anyone from management addressing anything on here about Nekton over much more serious complaints. in 2007 a crewmember was lost and never found during our trip, upon returning home we immediately sent an email to Nekton with our condolences while also addressing some concerns we had about the lack of professionalism we observed during our trip. You would expect a relatively timely courtesy call from management after 16 guests vacation was very tragically impacted. Many guests were pretty upset about what happened. It took them more than 20 days to send us a letter of apology followed up by $800 worth of future trip credits (unused to this day and before anyone asks, no you can't have them). Neither my husband nor myself ever had any direct conversations with anyone from Nekton after this incident. Suddenly, one night in February while I was attending my very first political caucus I received a very confusing message from John Dixon (owner) around 7pm MST. Again, I had never spoken with him but his message seemed to indicate that he thought he had spoken with me prior and he understood I was still upset about our experience and he wanted me to call him back. Only furthered my belief that they were totally unorganized and not very concerned about the experience their guests had just had. I am sure they were upset about the loss of this persons life as well but they still had an obligation to their customers. I know I wasn't the only one that was wondering why they took so long to contact people.

But don't take my word for it, I'm probably considered a Nekton hater by some. You can read about how at least 3 others guests felt as well here. Loss in Belize

I can't speak for present policy, but when I worked in the office it was against company policy to reply on internet forums. That does not mean they do not see what is posted on the boards, only that they prefer to handle complaints on a personal level.

20 days does seem like a long time to respond, especially given the tragic circumstances, but then again we live in a very litigenous society where lawsuits run rampant, so they might have needed to get their legal ducks-in-a'row before commenting (this is not a fact, just a possibility). The $800 does seem like fair compensation (it can be as high as 50% off a future cruise), but no amount of money can bring that guy back or comfort his family and friends.

You might really enjoy the Nekton, and yes it does say "no seasick" but I can tell you that only means that your chances of getting seasick are far less than on a monohull boat in the same sea conditions. The boat does still have a bit of motion but it is a much slower gentle roll rather than swaying back and forth. After a day or two most people don't even notice it at all. BUT The crossings are always rough (first night and last night) and some people do get seasick on those, most people take meds and sleep through them.

Where should YOU go? I have no idea. Since you love Palau and Indonesia so much, I don't think you are going to find anyplace in the Caribbean to compare. Not at one single destination anyhow. The best diving in the Caribbean for US has been at CCV resort in Roatan, Bonaire, and the Nekton Cay Sal and Medio Reef itineraries. Cozumel this past year rates waaaaaay below all 4 of those trips.

robint...If I get Seasick on that big of a boat (and it is not in a Hurricane) I deserve it...LOL. I've gotten horribly seasick in the Galapagos and in Palau a few times....But I endeavor to pursue:D....if the water is rough I'll take Meclizine (which I hate) that works for me.

As you know I'm not really a Caribbean diver and I have dove a lot of it except for Bonaire. What attracts me to this trip is the price, visiting Old San Juan for a day, getting some dives in before my 3 week trek to Indonesia in November.

My only concerns is if the boat is packed you will be elbow to elbow with other divers and if the Nekton is having Payroll problems....will their boat be docked along with my deposit or payment.

Thank you for your 2psi and PM's

Cappy John- you really should check your sources. as a crew member who was on this disasterous trip and got kicked off, NO ONE left because of the drug test. 2 people left for a legitiment family emergency. husband and wife were kicked off because one yelled at the captain for cussing at the crew member during a game. 2 others got kicked off because of a flooded camera, and the rest left because they were fed up with the bull**** that had gone on that week. and for your information no one has seen checks (until recently) last October including our credit card tips. The company is about to have 3 lawsuits. The company is trying to cover all this up by telling people everyone got off because of the drug test, well i've got news for you .... we were all given the option to not take the test an be confined to quarters or take the test EVERYONE TOOK THE TEST!

Cappy John- you really should check your sources. as a crew member who was on this disasterous trip and got kicked off, NO ONE left because of the drug test. 2 people left for a legitiment family emergency. husband and wife were kicked off because one yelled at the captain for cussing at the crew member during a game. 2 others got kicked off because of a flooded camera, and the rest left because they were fed up with the bull**** that had gone on that week. and for your information no one has seen checks (until recently) last October including our credit card tips. The company is about to have 3 lawsuits. The company is trying to cover all this up by telling people everyone got off because of the drug test, well i've got news for you .... we were all given the option to not take the test an be confined to quarters or take the test EVERYONE TOOK THE TEST!

Thanks for providing your experience. It is important to have all sides provide honest input on this topic. Could you provide some of the missing information? Are you saying that noone had received paychecks (until recently) since last October? No one had gotten a paycheck in eight months?

I understand everyone took the test. Do you know if everyone passed the test? How many failed? Were you aware that crew members were smoking pot on the boat (in violation of USCG regs, federal law, and company policy), or were you also (like Divie) unaware that this was going on on the boat? As a former crew member, you know that there are very few secrets on the boat, so I am surprised that no one has come forward and acknowledged that this occurred. If you were aware, didn't you feel some sort of responsibility to report this to the office in order to protect passenger and crew safety? You claim that the company is trying to "cover things up" with the drug test, but so far I have not heard anyone deny a bong was found on the boat nor anyone deny there was drug use onboard.

I am sorry for all these questions, but I think in the spirit of fairness everyone should be privy to these answers, not just hear from disgruntled former crew members (and I would be disgruntled too if I had not received a paycheck in eight months).

PS, welcome to Scubaboard, I am glad you joined so that you can share your information with the rest of us.

Last edited:
scubapal - I find it very hard to believe that no one received paychecks since last October. No one would work for a company that long without getting paid. :shakehead: Making statements like that makes it hard for me to believe anything else in your post.

robint...If I get Seasick on that big of a boat (and it is not in a Hurricane) I deserve it...LOL. I've gotten horribly seasick in the Galapagos and in Palau a few times....But I endeavor to pursue:D....if the water is rough I'll take Meclizine (which I hate) that works for me.

As you know I'm not really a Caribbean diver and I have dove a lot of it except for Bonaire. What attracts me to this trip is the price, visiting Old San Juan for a day, getting some dives in before my 3 week trek to Indonesia in November.

My only concerns is if the boat is packed you will be elbow to elbow with other divers and if the Nekton is having Payroll problems....will their boat be docked along with my deposit or payment.

Thank you for your 2psi and PM's

Scott I really think you need to stick to what you love the Indo Pacific:wink: I really just don't think anything in the Caribbean is going to measure up...I think Cozumel is one of the better destinations that you would enjoy....and Robin and I disagree about that... love ya Robin :kiss2: we both love Roatan but I just don't think that is what you are looking for....I will be heading to Cozumel for the umpteenth time...this time in January to hopefully dive the northern sites to see the squadrons of eagle rays that are there at that time of year....:) the currents up there can be tricky but you are more likely to see bigger stuff...

Scott I really think you need to stick to what you love the Indo Pacific:wink: I really just don't think anything in the Caribbean is going to measure up...I think Cozumel is one of the better destinations that you would enjoy....and Robin and I disagree about that... love ya Robin :kiss2: we both love Roatan but I just don't think that is what you are looking for....I will be heading to Cozumel for the umpteenth time...this time in January to hopefully dive the northern sites to see the squadrons of eagle rays that are there at that time of year....:) the currents up there can be tricky but you are more likely to see bigger stuff...

It is hard to go to the Indo-Pacific area 3 or 4 times a year (not that I have not done that before). But I want to go somewhere before Indonesia so it is a toss up between Cozumel and the Nekton. I've been to Belize and Utlia before.....Hard to get me into that area again except for Maybe a free trip.....The Nekton does go in areas I have not been before and I can get in 4-5 dives a day. My concern is if the boat is packed (but Robin said that is not a major concern) and if they are having financial problems will my payment be sitting with the boat if they go belly up. And so far I am finding some trip insurance i've looked into does not cover Bankruptcy.

I've been following this thread with some interest. I've been on 25 live aboards but never on a Nekton. I am booked though for the first week in October to go to St. Croix. I'm going for the diving and like Scott I prefer the Indo-Pacific but still find some enjoyment from diving the Caribbean. I want to believe the company will have this problem behind them by then but I am worried about the fact the company may not be finanically sound right now. I'm gonna go with an open mind but the Nekton already has one knock against it my book and that is the cost of Nitrox. I've payed $100 or even $150 for a week of diving Nitrox but the Nekton charges $195 which seems on the high side to me. I dive a Suunto which many of you know is a conservative computer. If I'm gonna dive 4-5 dives a day I need Nitrox to keep my computer happy. I also think there mix of 29% is a bit strange as well and they go on that it is the industry standard. I'd prefer 32% and MOD of 110' then this 29% crap they are pedaling.

PS:Scott go to Coz I don't want to see you seasick plus have to listen to you moan about the diving all week.

PS:Scott go to Coz I don't want to see you seasick plus have to listen to you moan about the diving all week.

:rofl3: I think you know him too well :rofl3:

I've been following this thread with some interest. I've been on 25 live aboards but never on a Nekton. I am booked though for the first week in October to go to St. Croix. I'm going for the diving and like Scott I prefer the Indo-Pacific but still find some enjoyment from diving the Caribbean. I want to believe the company will have this problem behind them by then but I am worried about the fact the company may not be finanically sound right now. I'm gonna go with an open mind but the Nekton already has one knock against it my book and that is the cost of Nitrox. I've payed $100 or even $150 for a week of diving Nitrox but the Nekton charges $195 which seems on the high side to me. I dive a Suunto which many of you know is a conservative computer. If I'm gonna dive 4-5 dives a day I need Nitrox to keep my computer happy. I also think there mix of 29% is a bit strange as well and they go on that it is the industry standard. I'd prefer 32% and MOD of 110' then this 29% crap they are pedaling.

I flipped a coin...Nekton won.....and I have requested you as my roomate so if I am seasick all nite you can take care of me:D

Also If that water is a degree below 82....you can rent me a 3/2!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom