Nekton - Cayman Islands Itinerary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

augustadivediva:
Having said that - my disclaimer...I work for Nekton so I cannot be considered as "unbiased" and besides that....I'm going on the first (shakedown) cruise on April 29th and she better be making that crossing "cause I've been waiting for this day for a long, long time...
=========================================
Hey Augustadivediva ...do I know you ?? We got married on the Rorqual in 2002.

For the record, we've been waiting for the Cayman itinerary too.

Keep us informed.

'Slogger

We were on the Nekton Pilot in Belize at christmas last year and I'm with Ber Rabbit in the seasickness department!! I used my "patch" and had zero issues on the Pilot, even during a large storm. I won't go on a boat without my patch, even one as stable as the Nekton.

I've never been interested in a liveaboard in the Caymans before because they don't cross to the other islands often. It'll be interesting to watch how often the Rorqual makes it across...if she does consistently, then I'll definitely be interested in that itinerary. But for me, I'll be doing the NW Bahamas on the Pilot next year first. :wink:

augustadivediva:
"It just so happens we noticed the Aggressor nearly every day and the boat Captian said he was hearing a lot of complaints because it never ventured more that a mile or so from the Island. He said that was the case with the Nekton as well. "

Don, since Nekton's first Cayman trip is still a week away, it would be impossible for that Captain to know how successful they will be in diving all three islands :D I do know that Nekton is totally committed to diving all three of the Cayman Islands and will do so every week that it is safe and within the comfort zone of the guests to make the crossing over to the sister islands. Nekton may trade beauty for stability with the SWATH design, but this itinerary may well prove that beauty can be over rated. Having said that - my disclaimer...I work for Nekton so I cannot be considered as "unbiased" and besides that....I'm going on the first (shakedown) cruise on April 29th and she better be making that crossing "cause I've been waiting for this day for a long, long time...

Not till April 29th, huh! We never saw the Nekton on that trip so now I know why. Makes one question the Captians credibility unless I missuderstood as he was actually predicting the future.

Hope you have a good trip. We're looking forward to the Bahamas trip in August.

Don

Ber Rabbit:
I just have to look at a boat to get seasick and I have a comprehensive seasickness management system that I have to make sure I follow if I'm getting anywhere near a boat (or a rollercoaster, or a plane, or the back seat of a car--you can rule out getting me in any kind of simulator). I took my normal dosage of Meclizine for two days prior to leaving for the Nekton trip and I took my faithful saltine crackers along. I was down to one Meclizine a day (and probably could have gotten along without it) and never touched the crackers (I usually eat 1/4 to 1/2 box a day on a boat). Normal people take about a day to get used to the wobbling, I was the only one on the boat who didn't have sea legs by day 2; I never did get my sea legs and that was a source of amusement for everyone else on the boat :D

Can you go out on calm water with meds? If you can manage calm water you can manage the Nekton. I always take my meds as a precaution but that boat really does minimize seasickness and it's DEFINITELY worth a trip, the food is great and we had some great dives.
Ber :lilbunny:
Yes I can go out on calm water. I have a boat that I fish out of here at home.Will have to think about the trip for next year. All booked up this year. St.Lucia in july and Bonaire in Oct. I have no problems with motion sickness in cars or planes. I fly all the time

Laserdoc, sounds like you'll be just fine on the Nekton :D
Ber :lilbunny:

I did the Cay Sal Bank cruise last year. Boat was very stable. Crew was very acomable and food was fantastic. I hope to do the Cayman itinery soon, if I can arrange it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom