Nekton boats after hurricane Michael

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdoug1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The old Nekton hulks were moored less then 10 miles from the most intense damage from hurricane Michael. I was wondering if the storm destroyed them. They were already in terrible shape.

I had two trips on the Rorqual... they were two of the best vacation weeks I’ve taken, even though the boat was clearly was needing extensive work (one of the trips was the next-to-last commercial trip of the Rorqual).

A thread about the boats (like this one) pops up every once in a while and i read it hoping to see some good news... but it’s been a while and I’m starting to accept that there will not be any good news about those two boats.

I saw one of them 8 years or so ago, I think it was in Bayou LaBatrie, LA. I think they were salvaging it then.

I saw one of them 8 years or so ago, I think it was in Bayou LaBatrie, LA. I think they were salvaging it then.

In Alabama.

afaik they're both in Edi Florida in a shipyard.
A few years ago you could still see them both tied up on their webcam and the Pilot had been allowed to sink into the bottom.
Since they were SWATH that is where the engines were afaik - in the hulls

The webcam is understandably not in service currently.

The above posts about the boats being in La. and Alabama are incorrect. They were moored immediately after retirement at the now defunct Gulf County Shipbuilding shipyard in White City Florida, and have never been moved.. This is about 9 miles from Mexico Beach (as the crow flies). I last laid eyes on them about 6 months ago, remnants of old wetsuits still hanging on the sundecks. I was shocked that Jon Dixon has not been forced to move them out of the channel. I hope the storm will force a resolution. Just wondering if they blown into the channel. They have appeared to have been allowed to rest on the bottom for quite some time.

What a shame, we did 3 (or 4?) LOB trips on Nekton boats in the Bahamas, Belize, and St. Croix and they were all great trips!

Reactions: Doc
Yes, it is a shame. I did over 40 trips with them, so I spent a chunk of my life on those boats. Lots of memories made. Unfortunately, the company went from really good to really bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom