Neighborhood watch: Counterfeit zipseals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyIGH

Dive professional
Reaction score
Recently DUI has encountered four separate situations in which a DUI neck ZipSeal was returned due to ring separation. Upon inspection, these ZipRings were actually taken apart by someone other than DUI and had a new latex seal installed.

In each instance, the customer (end user) was unaware that this was the case. They thought it was a DUI product that was defective.

DUI has no instances of neck ZipSeal ring separation with a DUI manufactured product.

We are greatly concerned as this can affect the safety of the diver.

We realize that there may be people who insist on doing this type of repair in order to save money. But it should never be at a possible safety risk to the diver.

Please be aware this is happening and, should you see this, encourage people to purchase genuine DUI parts.

If you have any questions, please contact the DUI Customer Service Team at CustomerService@DUI-Online.com or (800)325-8439 x1.

are you saying someone is re-using the ring, and bonding a new latex seal to it?

(edit)
.... and passing them off as DUI product?

Last edited:
How does a diver identify a genuine DUI parts from all other parts?

I have to say I find this kind of funny. The real problem here is not that people are reusing the rings but that DUI prices for a new neck seal are ridiculous. $138 for a seal with a rubber ring attached? The one I love the most is the price for a Halcyon P-valve from DUI $280, Halcyon list price $180. I do have to say DUI is Very proud of there products as shown by there prices.

Agree with Aqua-Andy.

I recently bought a second used DUI suit and decided against upgrading to zip seals because of the price. The point of the zip seal is quick replacement. But who likes to have $138 slowly deteriorate in his dive bag "just in case"? Since few dealer stock the neck seals (could it be for the same reason?) it is actually quicker, and a whole lot cheaper, to have a standard latex seal glued in locally.

The P valve pricing is pretty much a slap in the face of any halfway intelligent customer.

I believe the P-Valve price is factory installed. Halcyon will only sell it to you for that price. You can install it yourself and save the hundred bucks or have the factory do it. Your choice. I chose to have them do it at the factory rather than do it myself.

I believe the P-Valve price is factory installed. Halcyon will only sell it to you for that price. You can install it yourself and save the hundred bucks or have the factory do it. Your choice. I chose to have them do it at the factory rather than do it myself.

No $280 is there uninstalled price if you want it installed you get to pay the bargain price of $340, what a deal. I saw another funny item on there price list, a roller for $106. I wish I could sell a $2 wallpaper seam roller for $106:confused:. I do believe DUI makes a good product but I refuse to pay more just for a name. Yes for a while DUI had a unique product with there zip seals and could charge a premium for them but with the new si-tech products out, now DUI will have to drop there prices to stay competitive (or you would think). I still cant believe how many people I talk to say that DUI is the best because it costs more than the competition:confused:, maybe Typhoon should start charging $5000 for there suits so they can be the best.

For genuine DUI parts make sure and purchase from an authorized DUI Dealer. Also all DUI seals will come packaged appropriately and will have a DUI XYZ - Examine YOur ZipSeals sticker on them.

Back
Top Bottom