Neglected Reg/octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trident209

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok, I know about the importance of maintaining gear to keep it in optimum condition but do not have any exeperience in maintenance of repairing gear that has been neglected. So here is my issue:

I was going through some old gear and found a reg I used in the military and the only reason I still have it at all is sentimental reasons. Issue is, I haven't used it in literally about 6 years. The compass is visibly cracked and the liquid encassed has leaked out and I believe also affecting the depth guage and pressure gauge on the same base.

Is this a common reair or is it something I will no longer be able to use ever again and just set it on the shelf? I am also conerned about the rubber on the reg. Is there a shelf life on it that it should be (or can be) replaced? I know Ill have to take it to the local dive shop for confirmation but just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I can expect to hear? It is old and not a quality brand but like I said simple sentimental but would like to be able to use it again if I wanted to. Any thoughts? Thanks...

a cracked compass is history. The other gauges should be fine. 6 years is a fairly long time but I would expect most rubber parts should be OK if storage conditions were good (temp, oxygen, humidity). Let your shop check out the gauges and reg.

Gauges should be enviromentally sealed, so oil from compass should have no effect on them, as for reg, i would get it serviced (membrams and orings replaced) after 6yrs rubber might be hardened/cracked/bad. better safe then sorry.

Back
Top Bottom